Looking for toy/habitat enrichment suggestions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all! I've been searching around the interwebs but I'm not getting specific enough results. Do you guys have any suggestions for soft tunnels and other crawl through toys that don't make noise? It's super easy to find crinkle tunnels and those plastic coated accordion tunnels, but my girls HATE the noise. It scares them. And even when I've left things like that in their cage long enough for them to get used to it and hidden treats and other toys inside, they either avoid it entirely or get the treat and get out immediately. But they love to climb and squeeze through tight spaces. I'm especially hoping for things I can safely hang because they like to be up high and I try to preserve as much floor space as I can for running. All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

There are plastic tunnels you can get for ferrets and guinea pigs that can be hung ups no also those cardboard tunnels with all the nesting stuff in them. I use those all the time and you can just poke some holes in them to hang them up. I usually look for ferret stuff when I’m looking for hammocks and other cage items and bird stuff for toys. Sadly the market for rat stuff is pretty small but luckily there is plenty of ferret and bird products that work great! In terms of enrichment I recommend bird toys and foraging toys are the best for keeping them busy.
here’s a plastic tube I found that would probably work well for rats
Kaytee Giant Tube Straight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DT31HZ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4XZPSNTCTAS809DV0RVK
Also I had this one for a while and my girls loved it (before they slowly destroyed it 😂)
Niteangel Tunnel Hamster Hammock for Small Animals, Tunnel Tube Rat Ferret Toy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076CWYSB1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KZFJRZPBB1AD865RN6BG
These sorts of triangle hammocks might be nice too
Niteangel Foldable Guinea Pig Tent Bed & Warm Tunnel for Rabbit Ferret Chinchilla Bunny Rats or Other Small Animals https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081YDTQDD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Q27XAVG5ZCH1NVWEJ7G0
I always recommend the Sputniks because I have yet to find a rat that doesn’t like these and they are so easy to clean
Savic Sputnik Extra Large House for Rats and Hamsters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW35J3G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FBV6JYG726948MZP7NF6
This is the tube I was talking about with the nesting material in it
Super Pet Kaytee Chewbular Play Tube, Medium, Colors Vary https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0786Q1NMX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_30JY7TJJDCJ8X4TDP6CC
I hope this helps! I have tried just about every rat product out there on my girls to find the ones they like 😝

These are all wonderful suggestions! Thank you so much!! 😊 I do get them bird toys for chewing. The stores around here don't seem to sell the big ferret tubes but I'm sure I can find plenty online. The do have a large cardboard tube that I hide things in for them, but they don't have a lot of space for it. They've got a pretty good sized cage but now that they're bigger and I can't be home as often because of work, I'm about to spring for one of the big double decker critter nations so they have more room to keep them busy while I'm away. Thanks again!

Anything that makes a tunnel....example, cut off jean legs (with a hairband or piece of rolled cardboard inside to make them aware that the fabric contains a crawl hole)

Tacky as it may be, they LOVE cardboard boxes. Of all sizes. Trash & replace once a week or so. Pasta noodle box, lightbulb or beer bottle box, etc

They really really like those stretchy rubber balls with soft rubber spikes on them. It's like a gel-rubber & the flimsy flappy rubber spikes look a blowfish.... i get them at Walgreens

Hanging strips of fabric & dangling rope. Swoop them above/across to so they sit like a hammock.

Buy a bunch of cable zip ties, keep them in stock - and just HANG THINGS & attach climbing levels, anything with holes in it can be zip tied to cage & used as a perch. They like to do run-throughs of "complex" obstacle course type setups...makes them feel cool to zip up & around their cage when it has a stealthy sneaky vibe to it 😎

Lightly wadded newspaper. They have a blast with deep layers of bedding, too. Especially if it contains a tupperware hut shoved in it.

For baby rats: anything SHINY and/or dangling is an absolute must. They go nuts on little rope obstacles too, a series of dangly bird toys etc to latch on to. And also for baby rats, they're obsessed with little oven mit pouches. Pouches are a big deal. They play and play and play with the dumbest stuff.

Plastic easter eggs, hide cheerios & seeds in them. Boiled shelled eggs, let them roll it around & figure out how to crack the puzzle.

Old purses are a big hit. Hang them.

Variety. Add/change a few things every few days & they'll act like they've been taken to the circus. Even just one crinkly cereal bag is a freakin joy ride.

Back