USA Looking for a retirement home... 3 year old unspayed female lost her cagemates

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

It's been a rough year for my ratties and due to losing her cagemates in the last few months, my rat Fred is now the only rat I have left. She is a sweet 3 year old unspayed elderly female looking for a home where she can be with other females or neutered males. I'm not rehoming her because I can't take care of her anymore, but because I am not interesting in getting more rats in the future due to the sadness that their short lifespans brings. She's definitely fallen into a depression since her last cagemate died and she is really the kind of rat who needs to be around other rats.

She's all grey and is a sweet rat who loves other rats but is a little shy around humans. She gets cage aggression when you reach your hand into the cage but is very friendly when she is able to come out of the cage into your hand and give lots of kisses. She gets on very well with other rats (haven't had any hormone related aggression with her). Her sister Cordelia died a year and a half ago from mammary tumors but Fred has no lumps on her and is genuinely healthy. Originally Fred was a rescue and had been in an abusive situation (being picked up by the tail by her old owners and then abandoned at the pound). She's really a sweet rat though and has learned to trust humans again as long as not reaching into her cage when she's in it is respected. I let her come out of the cage herself into my hands and then put her in another cage for cleaning it. I suspect she did originally come from a pet store not a breeder given her background but she seems to have miraculously inherited good genetics as she has survived to 3 years old and is still going strong.

I'm so sorry this happened- rats just never live long enough, I really wish I was closer to you I'd take her in a heart beat. My four ladies are very sweet and excepting... I hope you find a good home for her

Hi everyone,

It's been a rough year for my ratties and due to losing her cagemates in the last few months, my rat Fred is now the only rat I have left. She is a sweet 3 year old unspayed elderly female looking for a home where she can be with other females or neutered males. I'm not rehoming her because I can't take care of her anymore, but because I am not interesting in getting more rats in the future due to the sadness that their short lifespans brings. She's definitely fallen into a depression since her last cagemate died and she is really the kind of rat who needs to be around other rats.

She's all grey and is a sweet rat who loves other rats but is a little shy around humans. She gets cage aggression when you reach your hand into the cage but is very friendly when she is able to come out of the cage into your hand and give lots of kisses. She gets on very well with other rats (haven't had any hormone related aggression with her). Her sister Cordelia died a year and a half ago from mammary tumors but Fred has no lumps on her and is genuinely healthy. Originally Fred was a rescue and had been in an abusive situation (being picked up by the tail by her old owners and then abandoned at the pound). She's really a sweet rat though and has learned to trust humans again as long as not reaching into her cage when she's in it is respected. I let her come out of the cage herself into my hands and then put her in another cage for cleaning it. I suspect she did originally come from a pet store not a breeder given her background but she seems to have miraculously inherited good genetics as she has survived to 3 years old and is still going strong.
Is there a local rat rescue where you are? Maybe someone at the local SPCA can help you find a rat parent who is looking for an old lady rat? I really hope you find something.

Is there a local rat rescue where you are? Maybe someone at the local SPCA can help you find a rat parent who is looking for an old lady rat? I really hope you find something.
There is a local small animal rescue a few hours away but I would rather her spend the last part of her life living alone with me than alone at the shelter for months waiting to be adopted. That's a good point though! I could reach out to them and ask if she could be featured on their website but still remain in my care.

She sounds like a very particular type of old lady. Rats will grieve the loss of a cagemates but most bounce back. At her age I would advise keeping her where she's comfortable, familiar, loved and her foibles respected. First rule out old age or even pituitary tumour as her reason for acting depressed then go on from there.

Back