Long term Meclizine?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattdad

I have a young rat who's been struggling with an inner ear infection for about two months. She was on antibiotics for three weeks, then when I stopped them she was good for about a week and then the ear infection came back worse than before. She's back on antibiotics and is happy but she's more disabled than she was the first time around. I'm hoping that she'll improve further but I'm not optimistic. Still, she's a little sweetheart and I will take care of her unless her condition worsens by a lot. She's under the care of a very good vet.

She was on meclizine for a bit and that seemed to help. But after her last check up, she was taken off the meclizine and I can't remember why (there was a lot going on, and she's on several meds). Does anyone if rats can be kept on meclizine long term? And if not, why not? I will ask the vet when I talk to her next but I thought someone here might know.

I'd also love to hear from anyone who's had good experiences curing major inner ear infections. She's about a month out from the relapse and can skooch around pretty good, but I'm expecting that she'll likely stay like this (fairly disabled). Would love to hear anything different. Thanks.

I don't know about that medication but my rats have required antibiotics from the vet - sometimes a few had to be tried before one effective against the particular infection was found.
I know that rats can stay on baytril (enrofloxacin) long term
In addition to antibiotics, rats are also given an anti inflammatory (Metacam, prednisone, or dex) for a short while to reduce the swelling and prevent further permanent damage
Here is some info that may be helpful: Health Guide: Otitis Media, Otitis Interna / Labyrinthitis

Back