Lonely girl

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatDad2017

Hello everyone!

It’s been an interesting year for my rats. From having to euthanize one of my rats, to one having a seizure, and then two dying of old age (at least they went quick and didn’t have a drawn out death), and now I have one female left.

Oddly enough, this female I have left is the first rat I got (I used to have rats growing up, but I started a new clan of my own a few years ago). I play with her every day, take her out of the cage, and I completely spoil her. My question is, what can I do to prevent her from getting lonely? Is playing with her every day enough? I would LOVE to adopt some older females for her to have as roommates, but I sadly have discovered (through lots of allergy testing), that the horrible allergies I’ve been having for about two years is due to my rats. So, I don’t want to adopt her out, and I can’t adopt another female, so I’m just not sure what to do.

I had to make the difficult decision of having no more rats after my last girl passes. She’s so sweet, fun, and friendly... I just want her to be happy! Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just a thought- but have you tried filtering the air in the room, or perhaps getting a prescription allergy medication? Depending on the type of allergy, a good carbon filter can completely neutralize all smells, combined with a HEPA prefilter, can remove most of the allergy causing particles from the air. I set one of these up, ironically, to prevent my rats from getting respiratory infections, but it would no doubt work both ways if I were allergic.

I think a lot of owners struggle with this very issue. I got the rat bug from my daughter, and I've told myself that after 5 years (I'm on year 3 now) I'll probably take a break, as it can be pretty time consuming (as much as I love my little beasts). The rat foster idea is a good one. Another one I thought of is, I now get all of my rats from a rat rescue... if I ever end up with only one, I'm going to look into making a decent donation to the rescue and see about finding a special home for the older rat. I'm not wealthy, but it would be worth something to my peace of mind if I could make sure that my pet had companionship... But, the big question is, maybe your female would be happier with you? It sound as if you're giving her a nice life.

When I had my first group (three sisters), one passed away and me and my daughter had two... and then one suddenly passed away, leaving only one. I felt SO bad for her, I immediately (ten days later) adopted two boys. I had read all the stuff about not having only one rat. But, the funny thing was, my girl was INCENSED that I would dare to expect her to now share a cage with two bumbling ex-lab rats. She seemed absolutely miserable and was constantly hissing at the boys, who seemed as if they didn't understand what was going on. Within a couple of weeks, she learned to love and accept them, but it's funny how you can convince yourself that your rat "needs companionship" and then you get them a companion and they seem to hate it... for a time.

Back