Lone rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jposs

2F91A8AB-E751-48A3-A7B6-B5E1172407C9.jpeg
This is Sam and Mouse

I had two intact males together for 2 years. One just passed and the second was devastated. I decided to get him a big family to cheer him up. First I brought home two unaltered boys about 4 months old. They are not related. Introductions went swimmingly. Sam , my old man, was delighted. When I saw that everything was going good I decided to get a baby about 6 weeks old that I feel in love with the first moment I met him. Sam is ecstatic. He’s 5 times bigger than the baby but wants to snuggle up to him constantly. One of the 4 month old boys loves to snuggle the two of them. One big happy rat pile, except for one of the 4 month old boys. He stays away from the others. I’ve even seen Sam try to snuggle up and the loner just walks away. He doesn’t seem to be brooding or kicked out, he just keeps his distance from everyone. I haven’t witnessed any fighting or territorial disputes. Is the lone rat ok? I’ve had rats in the past but all have always bonded. I’ve never seen this behavior.

I have no idea how old the baby is, but it is not safe to put rats under 8 weeks old(10 weeks is safer) in with rats over 12 weeks old …. and rats need to be gradually introed ……. if the baby is under 10 weeks I would remove him until he is older, in case something happens

Some rats prefer not to cuddle and prefer some alone time. But what is important is that they are together. They communicate and can be together if they choose too.

Like humans, they all have their own personalities. Sometimes loners are more people-oriented than rat-oriented, he might like some individual time with you if that's the case with him.

My lone rat look just like yours in the pic jorats. They are all getting along very well. He does snuggle up from time to time but definitely does his own thing every now and then. Mouse brings him treats sometimes when he’s off alone, it’s very sweet.

I have no idea how old the baby is, but it is not safe to put rats under 8 weeks old(10 weeks is safer) in with rats over 12 weeks old …. and rats need to be gradually introed ……. if the baby is under 10 weeks I would remove him until he is older, in case something happens

Everyone has done great together. They are all doing quite well. Unfortunately Sam, my old man, passed away two days ago. I guess he really missed Frodo.

Back