Lone Female Rat Due to Agression

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Raven McAdams

Hi, everyone
So, I have three rats and two of them were losing weight with multiple bite marks, I heard fighting and screaming every night. I just got back from the vet because they really weren’t looking well and I have to separate the third one. I feel bad because I have an odd number so she’s all alone, but she is being a jerk. She’s super sweet and chill with me, but I guess not her sisters. It’s sad because they have their moments and it does seems like they love each other and the cuddle when they sleep. It’s just that it’s gone too far. I guess what I’m wondering about is how to deal with the depression that will most likely come to the rat I have to keep separate. I can let them play together when I’m with them, but that’s only once a day. She won’t have anyone to cuddle with. Could I try a new rat? Or will she just do the same thing. Maybe if it’s a more dominant rat, but how can I tell? The vet suggested a neutered male, but I can’t afford a neuter especially after the $200 I just spent at the vet today. My other problem is that they have chronic uri’s they’re mild, but they’re still there. I would feel bad giving that to a new rat, however they were all going to be snake food so I’d say they’re living a better life. She’s been in the cage alone for a day and she seems pretty upset. She just stares at me. I’m kind of rambling sorry. Anyways, does anyone have some suggestions?

Is she neutered herself? You could try to re-introduce them using a split-cage method if it's possible for you, or to introduce a new rat. If you can't afford to neuter a male rat, is there a rescue local to you that might have a neutered male?

My last girl was a lone rat after killing her cagemates, but she lived a happy life nonetheless, because she bonded more with me and with other pets, so she spent all day and every day in my company. If you absolutely cannot get your girl to work with other rats, she may just have to be lone, but if you can give her the attention and care that she needs she may turn out to be just fine on her own. :)

She isn’t spayed or anything and there aren’t really any small mammal rescues around here. I try to give as much attention as I can, but I’m in college right now and I don’t have much time except for at night.

Are they sisters that have been together all of their lives?
How long have you had them?
Did you take her to the vet to ensure she is not ill?
How old are they?
Have there been any changes in the cage, environment, etc?
Any new animals in the home?
How long has this been happening?
What cage were all 3 living in ? Dimensions? Can you post a couple of pictures of the cage?
Can you post a video of her walking and eating something small with her front paws?
(Post video to youtube and then put the link on here)

Please describe chronic URIs and what meds and combos of meds they have been long, when and the length of time they were on each med or each combo
A chronic URI would likely be myco and all rats have at least 1 strain of myco

No, Lily(the aggressive one) was introduced about 4 months after the other two were in there. I got her because she was being mistreated and was very sick. She’s better now, but she passed on the uri’s to the others because the rooms they were in weren’t far enough away. They were in a smaller cage made for two until their bigger cage came. They’ve been in the new one for about 2 months. I don’t know exactly how big the smaller one was, but the bigger one is about 4ft tall, 25.2 inches wide, and 16.9 deep. I can’t get a video right now and I honestly don’t have a YouTube account. They just get the sniffles and sneezes every couple of months. They get put on baytril for two weeks at a time. Edit: Two are about a year and two months old and Lily is about 7 or 8 months old. I’ve had them all since they were about 4-5 weeks old.

Attachments

• 5A75EC7E-E8E7-42DB-894A-92F7934E6489.jpeg
    5A75EC7E-E8E7-42DB-894A-92F7934E6489.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 154
rats are treated with antibiotics for at least 4 to 6 weeks so that may be why they are not getting over it.
Also they may need a combo of antibiotics not just baytril alone

Have you seen the aggression or just the scabs? If its just scabs its more likely to be mites which are easily treatable.
Its not likely Lily brought in anything contagious as those are the deadly viruses and they would get really sick just once and if treated and they survive would often have respiratory flareups for the rest of their life from the damage done to their lungs.
Most ongoing or chronic respiratory flareups are more due to each rat's strength of their immune system.

So lets determine if Lily can go back in with her friends or not.

rats are treated with antibiotics for at least 4 to 6 weeks so that may be why they are not getting over it.
Also they may need a combo of antibiotics not just baytril alone

I’m just doing what the vet told me. There is a new hamster, but this was happening before that. It started in their old cage a few months ago, and I thought the bigger cage would help with the aggression, but it seems worse.

Have you seen the aggression or just the scabs? If its just scabs its more likely to be mites which are easily treatable.
Its not likely Lily brought in anything contagious as those are the deadly viruses and they would get really sick just once and if treated and they survive would often have respiratory flareups for the rest of their life from the damage done to their lungs.
Most ongoing or chronic respiratory flareups are more due to each rat's strength of their immune system.

So lets determine if Lily can go back in with her friends or not.
I’ve seen her chasing them and then screaming and hissing. The vet said she saw multiple bite marks on their backs and they’ve lost weight since their last visit. Last night was their first time separate and it was the first quiet night in a while.

Is the chasing and screaming ever single night or is she okay some of the time and gets really bad every 4-5 days?
The second one. I’ve noticed mostly after feeding ( they get food every other day) but not always. Sometimes more often.

Rats need food available all the time (rat blocks such as oxbow), they also should be getting daily vegs (there is a forbidden foods list)

Rats need food available all the time (rat blocks such as oxbow), they also should be getting daily vegs (there is a forbidden foods list)
When they had it constantly, they were getting overweight

What do you feed? Most rats on a free fed diet of lab blocks don't become obese.

I would advise 2 food bowls/feeding areas and free feeding so the food-aggressive girl never feels like she has to fight for food.

They get oxbow garden select. They had it all the time and they were waddling around because they got fat. Now it’s a large handful every day or two big ones every other day. They also get lettuce and carrots and some fruit every once in a while. Before they get their medicine they get a piece of chicken so it won’t upset their stomachs. Should I trying always having food again? It’s kind of hard to keep up with them, they don’t seem to limit themselves. If I do do that again, where can I buy their food in bulk because it gets expensive.

Well, I just cleaned the cage and put a BUNCH of food and veggies in it. It’s been about 30 minutes and they’re fighting again. I’ve been watching them the entire time and it seems like Piper is very afraid of Lily. It also seems like Clover is protecting Piper from Lily. Piper hisses and runs away and Clover kind of distracts Lily. This makes sense because Clover is the biggest one and the vet said Piper has the most wounds on her. I really don’t know what’s going on with them. They never used to be like this...

Back