Little rat with URI

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBee

Hey everyone,

I took a three year break from rats and last night I got another pair of boys. They were being rehomed after being with a family for two weeks and the kids weren't taking care of them the way the parents expected. I dont think they were well taken care of during the short time they were there. They both are young, maybe 10 weeks and one has a URI for sure, he breathes heavy, sneezes and clicks. He seems like he gets tired easily but then he rests and has bursts of energy, so I wouldn't say he's full out lethargic, but I would expect him to have more energy. No porph, eating and drinking fine, poops and pees no problem. I already called the local rat vet this morning since he was closed by the time I got them last night and we have an appointment tomorrow at 230pm. I dont have any antibiotics on hand since it's been years since I had rats and I just want to make him comfortable and help him til we can get to the vet. Is there anything I can do to help his heavy breathing? I feel like I've forgotten a lot of tips and tricks from before and have been trying to rack my brain but I'm a little all over the place right now. This place taught me everything I knew about rats the first time around so I thought you all would be the best place to go.

Honestly since you are going to the vet tomorrow you dont need to.do much more than make sure hes eating and drinking. Hopefully its just a minor respiratory infection that clears with a few weeks of antibiotics.

He's definitely become more lethargic over the course of the day, the last two hours he's only moved from his spot next to me once but his brother has been all over the place. I've been offering food, water and treats intermittently and he's still taking them though. I dont know how long he's been showing symptoms so I'm just hoping it's easy to kick once he's on antibiotics.

Back