Little girl is wobbly with offset balance

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, I can’t see how CO2 chambers can possibly be humane and it’s very responsible of you to be asking about methods. I know this is a hard decision to come to but you’re doing what’s best for her and it seems like she got to live a long and happy life.

I did some research a while back and I totally agree with you. CO2 is incredibly inhumane no matter how you do it, either slow release of fast...both end up burning the soft tissue membranes, the throat, the nose, eyes. And then there's the suffocation.

Yes, CO2 is inhumane ..... unfortunately not only labs use it but it has also been promoted in the USA among followers of Debbie Ducommun, and is used by people who breed rats as well :(

Hope your vet does humane euthanasia or is willing to do it under your direction ( gas/oxygen mix used for surgery and injection into liver once a surgical plane has been reached, and kept unconscious until dead)

I am so very sorry

Thank you to all who helped out with my ratto questions during my time here. I took little Lola in today to be put to sleep. She had a delicious dinner last night of pre-mashed and diced veggie and fruit salad with bits of nuts, strawberry frosting and apple jelly on top. (She can't really chew) This morning she shared my cinnamon roll with me. The process went very well, I love that vet's office. She got a quick injection of anesthesia, and fell asleep in my lap buried under a towel which was always her favorite place when I'd take her out to play. Once the vet confirmed she was completely under, there was another intraperitoneal injection and shortly after that she passed. From my research that is currently the *actually* most humane euthanasia method for rats existing currently. I think it is the easiest passing I could have offered her. Very sad today, but I know it was her time to go and that she lived a good full life.

I’m sorry for your loss. I’m sure she had a wonderful life with you as her friend and caretaker. I hope it makes you feel better that she didn’t suffer for long and that her life ended peacefully.

Back