Litter opinions!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riana

I'm sure this has been asked to death, but I'd like peoples' opinions on what types of litter are good for rats. I'm currently using yesterday's news, but I was thinking of trying world's best cat litter, to see if it's at all scoopable. With the YN, it's hard to pick up the soiled parts, so I end up having to throw a bunch of otherwise clean litter out. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other alternatives. The biggest thing is that it's safe for the rats, something that they wouldn't eat, and that it would control odour fairly well. I don't mind doing daily cleanings.

I'm going into town tomorrow, so I wanted to pick something up then. Any suggestions?

The scoop-able (clumping) litter is not safe.

Unscented paper products like yesterdays news are safe. Some people get end of rolls (unused) newsprint and shred the paper ... but I imagine that would need to be changed daily.
Corn cob litter is not good to use esp. in the winter and with younger rats.

Hardwood is ok to use.
Carefresh may be ok but sometimes it can be very dusty.

Make sure you freeze litter for a couple of days before using it to kill parasites.

Many people are using dollar store fleece blankets in their cages and then use unscented yesterdays news in the litter boxes.

With 4 boys, you would probably need to empty litter boxes daily if you only used litter in litter boxes.

I use fabric and YN in litterboxes. So far it's been the best litter I've tried, and I haven't heard anything about rats choking on it like Swheat Scoop and other natural products. There was a period where some people were getting bits of plastic and possibly metal in their YN, but I've yet to see any in my bags.

At any rate, I've got 3 litterboxes and 3 girls, and I change my boxes out every 3 days when I change their liners. Does great for odor control.

If you're using nothing but litter in the bottom, you might want to try Aspen. Alot of the people I know who use it say it's fantastic, great with odor control, very little dust. Make sure you get the shavings, and not ground up pieces, though.

The thing is, my parents aren't fond of me using fleece or anything like that for the bottom, since they think it'd get stinky too fast. I was looking for other alternatives. The boys did wonderful with litterboxes, but it's the leftover space on the cage bottom that I didn't know what to do with.

Javakittie, what would the difference be between aspen shaving types? I see the tiny shredded pieces, and that looks real nice. Is that what you meant, or is that the type I should stay away from? And would that be appropriate with Rose's current sickness?

Aspen isn't dusty, or atleast not nearly as dusty as Carefresh or anything like that. You want the big solid shavings.

Here's a pic of the sort I'm talking about getting:
bottmlevel.jpg

I've seen other bags at the stores, where it looks almost like ground up shavings, like a really fine mulch. Those bags were always horribly dusty.

I'm partial to Aspen shavings (not shredded Aspen) myself, but I have an excellent source for it and have never had any issues with it.
I have had Aspen from other sources and I was disappointed in it, it was dusty and kind of nasty, but the stuff I get now is excellent.
I used to use fleece, and it was fine, but I had a lot less cages than I do today. Just the towels I put on the shelves keep me doing enough laundry.
I have used rabbit pellets and the hardwood pellets and found those too dusty when the urine would break them down, the same with Carefresh. I have tried a beta chip (very small tiny hardwood chips) product but there was too much static and it flew around everywhere.

I like Yesterday's News because it seems to cut down on the smell even though it's unscented. :thumbup: It's easy to pick up if thrown around or on the floor, which my guys do sometimes, I used to use Aspen but it made my hands itch and was really messy to clean up if it got dumped. A big bag of YN lasts me forever because I only use it in their litter box for the rest of the cage I use fleece :D I once tried Carefresh but they would push it all out on the floor (I guess they have an opinion too) but I only have my two boys :twisted: so maybe if there is more, it might not be prudent

I use the Nepco aspen in most of my cages with MewsPrint in the litter pans (I found it better at odour control than the YN), but I still have 3 cages on fleece..

I love the aspen, most bales have nice big shavings...I am not fond of shredded because they always seem to stick like velcro to carpet. :roll:

I did manage to get a lice infestation from Kaytee aspen, and it was soo dusty as well, so I will stick with my Nepco :)

lilspaz68 said:
I did manage to get a lice infestation from Kaytee aspen, and it was soo dusty as well, so I will stick with my Nepco :)

Where do you get the Nepco from? I've never heard of that brand before. I'm pretty sure Kaytee aspen was the previous cause of a buggie breakout here as well.

Shelley said:
lilspaz68 said:

Where do you get the Nepco from? I've never heard of that brand before. I'm pretty sure Kaytee aspen was the previous cause of a buggie breakout here as well.

I get the bales of Nepco aspen from Ren's in Oakville. I pay $10.99 for a huuuge bale :) Not one buggy issue from years of use and many bales :)

I would get aspen from my local pet store and it was awesome, shavings. But before christmas I was in Petsmart and the aspen are chips not shavings. It's terrible. I think.

I don't know if it's because of the wheather or something, but it takes odour extremely well, no mold ever, but I sure will keep an eye for ringtail :(

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I went out and bought another 30lb bag of yesterday's news for the boys, but now I'm using a large litterpan. I'll cover the rest of the bottom of the cage with fleece.

And for everyone, but especially SQ, just wanted to let you know that I have created a frankencage for the boys :p I could only add that rabbit cage on top, and not the other one which I was telling you about, but it gives them a good 4-5 inches higher, as well as about 3/4 the length of their cage. My dad and I put in their wheel and we're making a bunch of additional little toys to fill up the room in the cage, so it can be used properly. I hope to have pictures for everyone soon!

Back