Liners for FN's?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelley

Well I bit the bullet and my FN should be here anytime.
Now I am having a hard time deciding if I should go with pillowcase style or grommet for the liners I am ordering.
Doesn't anyone have any input on pro/cons of either????
Thanks

I'm not sure but let us know when you get them if you feel they are a good investment!

Right now I'm using fleece blankies from the dollar store and just tucking them under the pans and then using binder clips all the way around the pan edge. But the little brats are having fun destroying blankies every single night.

I'm starting to wonder if properly fitted FN liners would hold up better. (Probably not. haha)

I like my liners to be doubled up so I don't know if the pillow case liners are still doubled up when slipping it through? Tying the liners would be a pain for me, as I have way to many. For the shelf, I attach my liners with binder clips. For the pans, I have about 4" of liner all around so I can simply fold underneath the pan. In two of the cages it stays put but in the baby cage, they manage to either pull it out from under the pan or they just make their own holes. :roll:

For the shelf, I attach my liners with binder clips.

I'll have to try that ... I've been removing the shelves, wrapping them in a dollar store fleece blanket and replacing them. Your way sounds much easier.

jorats said:
In two of the cages it stays put but in the baby cage, they manage to either pull it out from under the pan or they just make their own holes. :roll:

My old manrat Maurice loves having fleece, he doesn't move it around or anything.. but in the girls cage.. even with binder clips holding it to the pan they chew around the clips, pull up the fleece, and play their wrestle/tag games underneath the fleece.. which knocks over all their igloos and toys. :roll: My poor fleece all looks like it's been in a major war zone. :lol:

I put a double layer of towel and fleece on the fn liner last night... I guess I wil have to see when I get home if they tore it up.

i think a liner would be useless for my rats, I'm lucky if the one layer blankets i use last for one wash, all the shelf liners i have made have worked out perfectly, as long as it's tight enough they don't bother to chew on it, so far i only have one hole out of my 4 shelf liners, and that hole was on the bottom.

i would go with pillowcase, what kind of material are they made of? i made mine with this stretchy one sided fleece, pillow style. and i made 2 for Shelagh, with the stretchy fleece on the bottom and flannel on the top, she seems to like it, not sure if it's still around :p

Yep still around. :D The towels bit the dust ages ago but I alternate between the dollar store fleece blankies and the actual liners. :) They did munch on the fold of the "envelope" when I forgot to tuck it in, and its pretty raggedy now :roll: I do like the stretchy fab on the bottom. :thumbup:

Nic was thinking of making a liner but sewing in a huge pocket hoping it will encourage the rats to go play inside the pocket instead of under the liner.

I gave up ages ago trying to tuck/line/trap fleece in any way :D I simply lay the fleece out and throw another layer on that. The boys seem to leave it alone for the most part, although they do pillow into the top layer of fleece. They are also major hammie/cube hogs and do little other than laze around most of the time.

I guess its good to have boys who are more worried about nappy time than how to destroy moms cage decorating :faces:

I was just wondering about this. I've tucked a slew of rags underneath the tray and the shelf and am hoping they won't destroy the prettiness.

So the fleece blankets from the dollar store sounds like a great idea. Do you guys wash them in the washing machine when cleaning the cage or replace them completely?

Back