Lily Rough Play??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

Or is it something else?

Before I got Lily, Ruby and Hazel would play fight etc pretty much only resulting in issued chirps (little squeeks) from each other, But since Lily has been in the mix things have gotten a whole lot rougher. I don't think Ruby and Hazel are too pleased. The other day I was lying in bed and I heard one of them squeeking really loudly. Lily was chasing Hazel around and Hazel was the one yelling (lower pitched and longer). Things calmed down after that.

Well tonight Lily was grooming Ruby and it got too rough for Ruby and she got down and was squeeking. It got even rougher and I guess you could say that Ruby was screeching. After I broke that up, Lily went after Hazel and Hazel almost tumbled down the ramp. All the while she was 'yelling'. After all this Ruby hid from Lily and then went and cuddled with Hazel in the bed while Lily walked around (after I took her out of the cage and put her on her back) and Ruby and Hazel looked so guarded. Ruby wouldn't take her eyes off Lily. Lily later weazled herself underneath the two to get into the bed. She then sniffed Hazel's bum and Hazel took off. At that point Ruby turned around and just watched Lily.

My concern is that Lily likes playing rougher then the other two and I'm worried that someone will get hurt a hole lot more. What should I do, am I being too paranoid? Would adding another rat to the mix make it better, or worse.

I am so concerned that Lily will cause too much problem. I don't know what to do. :(

They are all almost 10 months old.

Keep watching them. If you notice Ruby or Hazel being stressed out about Lily, like running away from her no matter what she's doing, not going to the food bowl when she's there, just generally avoiding her at all costs, then I would get concerned. She may be playing a bit too roughly for their tastes, or she could just be going through the motions of social standing. Is she the low man? Is she trying to be alpha? Could be lots of things. If no one is being really stressed by Lily's actions, they'll smack her down when they've had enough.

Ok thank you. This morning Ruby and Lily were cuddled up to each other.

Honestly I still can't figure out who's alpha in my cage.

That may be why it seems so tense when they get into it. They may still be settling it all out.

I know for sure that Hazel and Ruby will be 10 months on the 25th. As for Lily I guessed her age by the size of her compared to the other two. I think she's around the same age. Maybe a little younger?

I will see if I can get a video of it at some point.

Oh...lol 10 months is not old, I don't know why I thought they were older girls. :roll:

Sounds like Lily may be flexing her muscle then.
A video will help. :wink:

LA, I don't think Lily is more than 5 or six months. You got her here in August and those girls are usually only a couple of months at Petsmart.

That may be mamarat. The girl told me she was only a couple of months but I didn't believe her because she was very similar in size to Ruby and Hazel. Maybe I will have a big girl (well compared to the other two).

I've seen some oldish girls at my Petsmart... I don't know if that's a good or bad thing though.

LA, they're probably just going through one of those phases where they're working on who's boss (as mentioned before) I remember one week when Maggie and Emma would NOT sleep together... I was kind of worried but I guess they were just have sister-squabbles, as they worked it out and went back to snuggling shortly after.

Not to hijack, but the Petsmart's up there sell them that young? Down here, they don't purchase anyone under 3mo for their stock. Supposed to be to discourage people coming in who don't want a pet. Petco is the only retail chain I know of down here that sells them younger.

Well they have seemed to calm down and are all sleeping together. So I apparently overreacted. Things have been crazy here and the thought of them not getting along just got to me.

But I will keep an eye and will get a video if I get a chance to see it.

Back