Lilspaz Ratties Hospice and Rescue - CLOSED INDEFINITELY

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waldo is breathing badly again, is not interested in his breakfast :shock: and is cool to the touch...sigh. I pulled him out, and gave him fluids and dex, heated the snuggle safe, wrapped it in fleece and tucked it into the cave where he will huddle near it and Perses til he feels better...he knows the routine. :undecided:

Poor lad :(

apr10Waldo.jpg

apr10Waldo2.jpg

Perses is my 33 month old man, who was formerly rat aggressive. His first family after his brothers left us was the Cesar group, with Keiran etc. Then his HED got so bad he became a happy bedrat. He's on borrowed time now, but he's a happy boy most of the time.

Last night he was boggling for me in the carrier. :D

apr9HappyPerses.jpg

Poor Waldo (video below), this desperate breathing will ease and he will stop being reared up over the covered snugglesafe, and go into sleeping and cuddle mode near Perses. Btw the breathing sounds are not him but poor old Clemmie...she makes a lot of noise but as I said, is bright and still runs very happily.

I have booked Waldo (and Melvin) for a drop off appt tomorrow for Waldo to get a full workup..rule out heart, x-rays, to see if there's anything more we can do :(

I am going to email the clinic now with his symptoms.

First update. Dr Munn did xrays and poor Waldo only has one functioning lung. the other is kaput, never to return. They asked what I have been treating him with, and now they will brainstorm and try to figure out what to send me home with on a "let's try this" basis. They asked me if I was alright with this...of course!

M0onkist said:
Oh, poor Waldo!! I hope they find something that works...

He's being put to sleep. Dr Munn had Chris call me back asking for my email address to send me x-rays of his lungs. Said his condition was very "grave". The stress of the visit is making every breath very difficult...he didn't respond well even in oxygen (just like Norbert) and Dr Munn was willing to try other medications but it was his recommendation to let him go. Possibly we could get him feeling a little better but most likely he would continue to go from attack to attack. Sigh. I am so tired right now. :sad3:

Oh Shelagh I am so very sorry to hear this. You and all your babies need to catch a break. You have been working so long and hard to help all these babies pull through. I am sure Norby will be waiting to greet Waldo at the bridge. Hang in there you are doing such great work for all these babies. Remember you need to take care of yourself too so you can stay strong for all your babies. Please know I am pulling and praying for you and all the great work you do!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

M0onkist said:
Oh gosh, so that was Waldo I saw in the oxygen box?! Chris called Dr. Munn over as I was paying and said someone (I couldn't make out the name) was worse...

that was him. :(

I have x-rays to post and you will see that they weren't kidding about that lung. I also opted for a gross necro on his body. They are going to check Melvin while he's there since he went through the same thing not long ago. :(

:hugs: I'm so sorry . Its heartbreaking to try everything and anything, and still end up losing your dear ones. Your crew is very lucky to have someone as strong as you.

rhapsody said:
:hugs: I'm so sorry . Its heartbreaking to try everything and anything, and still end up losing your dear ones. Your crew is very lucky to have someone as strong as you.

I don't feel very strong right now. Tears keep slipping down my face here at work.

:sad3: :sad3: :sad3:

there are no words, just shared sorrow

breathe easy dear boy, you were loved so much and will be missed

I'm so sorry hon :hugs: so very sorry

:sad3:

I'm so sorry Shelagh... this is not something neither of you deserved. Poor Waldo most likely is better off now, though... still... what a bitter end. :hugs:

Run and breathe free Waldo - find Norby and send some feel better vibes to your mom... she really needs them...

Back