Lilac has an URI... dosage help?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilight

Yesterday I heard Lilac start to make some URI sounds, and I could totally start her on treatment right now- I have some leftover baytril and a syringe. But, my little scale broke so I can’t weigh her and get a dosage :( I will be getting a new scale soon but I’d like to start her on the meds now, could someone please give us a “common” dosage for enrofloxacin 10% that would work, but would not be an overdose for a (about) 4 month old female rat?

Do you have a reliable bathroom scale? You could weigh yourself, then weigh yourself with her on your shoulder and go by pounds (or kilograms) instead of grams in the dosage calculator. I had to do that with Wally until I got a small food scale for him.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other reliable scales :(

Would you have an estimate for what a female rat would weigh? What did your boy weigh?

Unfortunately, I don't have any other reliable scales :(

Would you have an estimate for what a female rat would weigh? What did your boy weigh?

Wally weighed 0.8 lbs when he was 4-5 months old, but he was big for a rat his age (not just in weight, but in build). I don't know for sure how much your girl would weigh, unfortunately, but maybe 0.4 lbs? That was how much Wally weighed when he was about the size of a normal-sized 4-month-old rat. But again, I'm not 100% certain, especially since boy rats tend to be larger than girl rats.

Ok the babies are almost 3 weeks now? And Lilac is showing what symptoms? If its just nasally noises I wouldn't start her on baytril just yet, the babies would be getting it through her milk. Pediatric friendly antibiotics for nursing moms with mild symptoms are azithromycin, amoxicillin or clavamox. But if mom is getting sick or the babies are starting to then definitely start her on baytril. As for a dose we would have to guesstimate her size off of pics.

Ok the babies are almost 3 weeks now? And Lilac is showing what symptoms? If its just nasally noises I wouldn't start her on baytril just yet, the babies would be getting it through her milk. Pediatric friendly antibiotics for nursing moms with mild symptoms are azithromycin, amoxicillin or clavamox. But if mom is getting sick or the babies are starting to then definitely start her on baytril. As for a dose we would have to guesstimate her size off of pics.

Mostly nasally noises, sometimes there is a little squeaking when she breathes. The babies are exactly 3 weeks today. I think I might wait a while to start her on meds, maybe until the babies are weaned, and change her bedding to something like paper for now. (if she doesn't get much worse) I will attach a photo once I can get one :)

The babies are almost 6 weeks old now, and I don't hear Lilac making any URI noises anymore. Plus, she smells weird, LOL. (not bad weird, just... strange)
I'm not sure what to do. Should I start her on baytril after getting her weight anyway?

Also, the babies are grabbing each other by the tail and kind of tugging each other around. (they do this to Lilac too) Is this normal? It seems a bit rough

Glad she is feeling better and the babies are doing well.
Have you separated baby boys from their mom and sisters? That is done at 5 weeks old, before 6 weeks so no more pregnancies

Glad she is feeling better and the babies are doing well.
Have you separated baby boys from their mom and sisters? That is done at 5 weeks old, before 6 weeks so no more pregnancies

I have! 3 of the boys have actually been rehomed, as well 😊

Back