Likely pituitary tumor

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She had to be PTS. The vet didn't think she could come back from where she was, because of the level of dehydration. She says sometimes these come on quick and I might not have missed anything. She consulted with a vet at a veterinary college before giving the recommendation and said that Dallas would likely suffer painful convulsions and seizures even if started on the meds. I don't know what to believe anymore, it always seems people go all out and push us to go all out but then when we do the rat dies anyway (usually painfully), but when we don't we feel so guilty. It's really so hard, we've lost so many rats and they aren't making it to even two. Dallas almost did. Our boys are. But all the girls died before they turned two. Maybe we shouldn't have rats. I can't get her out to be cremated until later this week but it hurts my heart to think of putting her in the freezer. I didn't expect this result I thought maybe she could come back and I've been tending to her often trying my best to get her water and liquidy foods and the prednisolone. I don't know how I can do this anymore and we still have four boys.

I'm sorry you had to say goodbye - these little creatures get their paws around our hearts and don't let go. A PT is not curable, so euthanizing her is a reasonable choice. Don't feel bad for choosing that course of action. I find I always miss the ones I have to nurse more, as they take up so much of your time and energy worrying about them.
It is hard having pets that pass on after such a short life. There is only so much you can do to give them a longer life span. The most important thing you can do is give them a wonderful, loving life while they are here, and be willing to let them go when it is time.
Some people have taken a break from rats because they have such a short life. I like to think that one rat's passing makes room for another needy rat looking for a forever home. It is their gift and legacy to the new rat.
:hugs:

Isn't 2 usually about how long they live? Dallas made it the longest although we did adopt a full grown boy a year and a half ago who I believe could be older than two. Such a variety of reasons though, I can't pinpoint what we're doing wrong. We've had 2 sudden respiratory distress (1 age unknown, 1 19 months), 2 just died out of nowhere no symptoms nothing (1 8 months, 1 15 months), 1 who had an inoperable tumor (22 months), 1 who had a bad reaction to mites we got before I stopped using store bought bedding (18 months).... I mean I guess I should feel fortunate that of all our girls we only had 1 tumor but it seems none lived long enough to really develop them. Although the one who got the tumor was only 16 months when it started. I just don't know if it's us or what.

Our boys seem healthier... We've only lost one compared to all our girls. I just feel like I really failed Dallas. I should've not insisted on going to my regular vet and got her in last week, if for no other reason than to not prolong her suffering or get so attached doing the every 4 hour feedings and such. This rat hated me her whole life and I'm just like heartbroken now. Because I guess I feel like she lost her dignity, as if she was a person or something. Having me be able to handle her and do all these things that if she were healthy she would not have tolerated. I know that sounds stupid but that's what's bothering me. I've had two rats die on my chest after never seeing anything but a bug die and it's not a pretty process. And she definitely did not suffer the way they did in her last moments. But I wasn't prepared. I should've given her some yogurt or baby food for a treat before we left.

Sorry I'm rambling I'm just upset by this. I was very upset when the injured rat I'd tended to for several weeks died so maybe that's what it is. Which is pretty selfish.

It is so heartbreaking to have a rat put to sleep
but having a rat humanely put to sleep by a vet that knows how to do it properly is the last gift we can give them
and when nothing more can be done, a humane death to prevent further suffering is so very important

I am so very sorry for your loss
You did everything you could to provide Dallas with good care and help her to get better

{{hugs}}

Back