The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratbabylady

Hi everyone! I am posting today on behalf of my 1.5 year old blue female dumbo affectionately named Pod. On Sunday I noticed she was bleeding (a tiny!! bit) through her vaginal opening. Bright red blood that was barely leaving her opening & I only noticed it because I was tickling her while she was on her back. I immediately made a vet appointment & had her seen the next day. At the appointment she was no longer bleeding & the vet said she looked good & was in tip top shape and did not want to put her on meds. I said fine (also I started crying in the appointment because she mentioned their short lifespans which I am painfully aware of as I just lost my sweet rat Maisy in July) & went home. But now Pod is bleeding again, still only a small bit, but I’m clearly freaked out. She’s had Myco flare ups in the past but never a genital infection. Anyone experience this light bleeding before? What should I do?

I feel that sometimes when I try to advocate for my rats I almost do it too early. While I see that something is wrong, let it be bleeding or sneezing flare ups at home, while at the vet the vet sees no problem. It’s frustrating because I worry in a week she will be sicker when she could have gotten treated on Monday. I’m at a loss.

Vaginal bleeding can happen from a bunch of different things, polyps, uterine masses or infection but it's usually a genital myco flareup.

Put white paper towels in her cage and see if you notice more bleeding. She's probably licking herself clean before you see it. The towel will soak it up and be more evident.

Hi everyone! I am posting today on behalf of my 1.5 year old blue female dumbo affectionately named Pod. On Sunday I noticed she was bleeding (a tiny!! bit) through her vaginal opening. Bright red blood that was barely leaving her opening & I only noticed it because I was tickling her while she was on her back. I immediately made a vet appointment & had her seen the next day. At the appointment she was no longer bleeding & the vet said she looked good & was in tip top shape and did not want to put her on meds. I said fine (also I started crying in the appointment because she mentioned their short lifespans which I am painfully aware of as I just lost my sweet rat Maisy in July) & went home. But now Pod is bleeding again, still only a small bit, but I’m clearly freaked out. She’s had Myco flare ups in the past but never a genital infection. Anyone experience this light bleeding before? What should I do?

I feel that sometimes when I try to advocate for my rats I almost do it too early. While I see that something is wrong, let it be bleeding or sneezing flare ups at home, while at the vet the vet sees no problem. It’s frustrating because I worry in a week she will be sicker when she could have gotten treated on Monday. I’m at a loss.
Vaginal bleeding can happen from a bunch of different things, polyps, uterine masses or infection but it's usually a genital myco flareup.

Put white paper towels in her cage and see if you notice more bleeding. She's probably licking herself clean before you see it. The towel will soak it up and be more evident.
I ended up calling the vet the next morning and we did an emergency spay on her. Vet found a ruptured ovarian cyst and a mass on her uterus. She’s healing now. :)

Back