The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumblebeerock

Recently took my 2 month old male rat to vet for pinworms and lice. Treated him and my 4 other boys with prescribed ivermectin liquid 1mg/ml diluted w/ 9mL of veggie oil. One more treatment 10 days from now. I've washed all fleece with hot water cycle and vinegar and dried on higher heat. Cleaned cage and accessories w/ hot water and vinegar, freezing all natural material toys, dry food, paper bedding. Is there anything I'm missing? If the lice are still visible after the 2nd dosage and a 2nd cleaning should I get revolution prescribed? Located Utah, USA. Thanks :))

With ivermectin it only kills the hatched adults so normally it's 3 weeks of treatment a week apart. They are treated the first time, kills off the adults, then more hatch the rat gets reinfested then you treat again. At the 10 day interval it should still work, but if you see live lice after that 2nd treatment, you might just want to do one more to make sure you got all the life cycles.

With ivermectin it only kills the hatched adults so normally it's 3 weeks of treatment a week apart. They are treated the first time, kills off the adults, then more hatch the rat gets reinfested then you treat again. At the 10 day interval it should still work, but if you see live lice after that 2nd treatment, you might just want to do one more to make sure you got all the life cycles.
For future reference, should I always freeze new bedding and such, and should I use revolution? (Will my exotic vet prescribe revolution?) Is the cleaning that I did enough?

Back