Let's talk about Kale

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally don't like the taste of kale but force myself to eat it. lol Cause it's a superfood!!! And awesome for the rats too. Kale's nutritional value is best when lightly steamed.

I looked for baby kale today at the grocery store, but they only seem to carry the regular stuff.

Jorats, have you tried massaging the kale with olive oil? That was part of the recipe from Godmother and it is supposed to help with any bitter taste.

I'll right off the bat admit I didn't read the whole thread through, but I want to comment on kale.

I don't know whether or not it's a coincidence, but I started feeding kale to my rats end of last year, and the crazy rat lady that was visiting the vet every week hasn't needed to go since Dec 6 2014... Maybe my older girls have better genes than others, although I know some of their siblings already have had tumours, and yes, my boys are not even a year old yet, but jeez... since 2010, my record of time spent without giving meds was close to 2 weeks. Coincidence or not, they like it, so they will most certainly keep having it!!!!

I love kale, but I cook it in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. So most of the "kale" taste is gone haha! [Not a huge fan of it raw or steamed. But I'll eat most veggies without fuss]
My crew likes it, I give it to them raw and they nibble on it. Sometimes I put a drop of olive oil on a handful of it. Then they eat every last piece. :p

Back