Let's talk about Kale

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldent suggest this. but my family is dutch. they saute the kale and put vinegar on it. thats for people for rats i would have no idea.

Also i found this recipe

Heat a large (12-inch or wider) wok, cast iron skillet or non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. ...
Add one tablespoon of oil to the pan and add the garlic, onions and optional additional vegetables. ...
Add the remaining two teaspoons of oil to the pan. ...
Pour the contents of the bowl back into the pan.

Oh Joanne you should definitely make this a staple in your diet and your ratties too! It's loaded with goodness and cheap. It keeps well in the fridge too.

I buy a massive bag once a week.

When cooked, it tastes very slightly bitter. Maybe a combo of spinach and a slight taste of caggage. It's not an overwhelming taste. If you're a fan of greens, you'll like kale. There are several ways of enjoying kale. I toss mine in stir frys, I put a handful of it in my green smoothie for breakfast (I'm hardcore) and it's nice slightly steamed. You can chop it up finely and add it to salads. It's a very sneaky way of getting some awesome kale in your diet.

I agree with SQ. It's a fantastic, cheap very versatile food. You can't go wrong. Your skin will glow! I've never met a rat that didn't enjoy kale. I'm so pleased that they do, because of the health benefits for them and a big bag is cheap and will keep a while in the fridge. It doesn't will away like spinach does with a little heat either. It's pretty tasty. But then, I've always loved my greens!

The taste of kale is bitter almost. So strange, It taste earthy unlike other greens. It is a hard leafy green and my rats love it. I had to try it but holy cow, I cant stomach it LOL. I tried these kale chips you bake them in the oven with some sea salt I think it was but I couldnt even finish them. It is a taste to be desired and I am not one to eat it.

My rats love kale. I use it in soups, stews and smoothies. I also got an amazing kale salad recipe from a friend who has the recipe book Vegan Holiday Cooking. The bitterness of the dark kale is alleviated by rubbing the kale between hands lightly coated with olive oil. The salad is addictive, with cashew bits and mayonnaise and cranberries.

image.jpg

I tried Godmother's recipe tonight. It was tasty and I didn't find it at all bitter. I have to admit my jaws are a bit tired though! LOL
I actually might try sauteing it and adding vinegar - sounds good...

Last edited:
I add kale to smoothies and soups and chili, where I cant' really taste it. It's ok, I don't mind it but I much prefer spinach or swiss chard. I've had kale lightly steamed with some garlic powder and that was pretty darned good, but I couldn't eat it all. a bunch of kale lasts a long time in my house as my rats don't seem to care for it. They love romaine lettuce and baby spinach, broccoli and Brussels sprouts, but kale gets stuffed in the litter box. Go figure, eh?

My rats like the stuff labelled 'organic baby kale', which is thinner and not bitter.

I'm going to be living on smoothies for a couple of days after Monday (major dental procedure), so I got some kale and silken tofu to be ready. Will add lots of frozen berries and other goodies. I bet my little mama rats would enjoy sharing it with me.

I don't really know the difference between mature kale and baby kale, but the stuff I got had pretty curly leaves and was close to the stem, so maybe it was younger?

Grocery stores tend to label the baby kale, "baby kale" and sell it in containers like they do with field greens etc
The leaves are very tiny and the stalks are very small and thin

Ugh I'm so jealous of all this kale talk! For whatever reason we have a very, very limited supply of kale in Northern Manitoba and most of the time it is already getting slimy before I even have a chance to buy it not to mention the price of it here. I can't wait to move back to Southern Ontario lol.

Smiles_n_Hugs, can you ever find frozen kale? It must be hard to live without access to a lot of fresh fruit and veg

I haven't had a chance to look yet. I don't have a lot of freezer space and am working on a bag of frozen spinach right now lol. I shouldn't really complain it is a million times better than last year in the Northwest Territories at least here I can get the basic fresh fruits and veggies.

Back