Laying rats on their back

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessimica

Hey everyone,

My only experience with pet rats was my late huge rogue male Jasper. I rescued him as an older adult and he was set in his ways. I would never dream of flipping him on his back to rub his tummy unless I was looking for a major bite.

Im getting two babies in a week (Yay! Thanks Tara and Vanessa!!) Im wondering if, like kittens, Im gentle with them and encourage them to lay on their backs if they'll get used to it and eventually enjoy it. Ive read so much about other people's rats that love to chill on their back, Im hoping my boys will do the same!

Jess

I rarely see a rat on his/her back. I wonder if it's just a personality thing? It's a sign of true relaxation so I suppose if you carry the babies around with you all the time they'll learn to relax pretty fast. : )

If you start them young, you might be able to get them used to it. I had two rats that didn't mind it on their backs out of many.

Baby Girl, Willow Bean, Brenna Boo and Emma Lee are all fans of being on their backs for cuddles and kisses. We were lucky enough to get Emma, Brenna and Willow at a young enough age to get them used to it and thinking it was normal. Baby girl was used to it already when we adopted her. Moosh is alright with it too because his breeder and we put him on his back a lot. The other two boys I cwouldn't dream of trying it, but then again I wouldn't want to try holding them for too long either! :roll:

It all depends on the personality of the rat. My girl Penn just hates being even tilted, let alone put on her back. Her sister Mac tolerated it, so long as I was giving belly kisses and calling her my FatMac. My baby girl Lil will stay on her back so long as I'm doing belly kisses or I've given her a treat. Grey doesn't care for it, but will stay on her back and groom my cheeks while I give belly kisses. Girls tend to be much more busy and 'gotta go' than boys, though, so you may luck out.

It's not so much training as getting them accustomed to it. It's not a new thing, so they don't tend to freak out over it. Even if you do it regularly when they're young doesn't mean they'll do it willingly or continue to do it when they're older. It's worth a shot, though.

I have had 2 girls Yoda and Vesper who loved being on their backs as babies. Vesper went crazy for it, infact sometimes she would roll onto her back and then push herself under my hand so I would give her belly rubs haha...it really was the cutest thing I had ever seen.

But now that they are older, they don't really do it too much anymore...Vesper still does it but only sometimes and Yoda doesn't do it at all. I think it has alot to do with the playful nature of young rats. Once they get past a certain age, they act like they are too mature for that. :roll:

Emma had always hated being on her back. Now she's over two and she doesn't mind it so much, unless she's being hyper.

Maeby is less than a year and puts up with being on her back for a moment. Lucille will not stand for it, and also doesn't do dangly rat at all.

Back