Laundry detergent to use for rat bedding

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_ratowner

I came across this laundry detergent while I was at the store today and I was wondering if this would be a good choice to use for cleaning rat bedding and such. The one that I found is unscented. There was also a lavender one but I would buy the unscented one if it is proven to be suitable for use with rats. The product is Tide Purclean. It is biodegradable I believe and it has no dyes or perfumes. Photo of the product below. Photo does not belong to me.

Thank you. All replies are appreciated.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 263
Do you believe that this would be a good option of detergent to use for rat bedding and such? Do you think it would be suitable/safe for them? I haven't bought or used this specific kind before but I would get the unscented version.

I’d put just a bit of this, extra rinse and a bit of vinegar and dish soap directly in. That brand worked well for me but fleece with my boys SMELLED lol even with proper cleaning and multiple attempts with litter training

I’d put just a bit of this, extra rinse and a bit of vinegar and dish soap directly in. That brand worked well for me but fleece with my boys SMELLED lol even with proper cleaning and multiple attempts with litter training

What do you use now for them, if you don't mind me asking?

View attachment 11770 View attachment 11769

I use Healthy Pet Critter Care natural paper bedding. Don’t worry the pic is the hamster cage

Oh, interesting. I heard that it had to be freezes the get rid of the risk of mites and such so that's why I don't use it but I have heard of a lot of people using Care Fresh paper bedding or something similar.

I wouldn't have even noticed the cage in the photo if I am being honest.

Oh, interesting. I heard that it had to be freezes the get rid of the risk of mites and such so that's why I don't use it but I have heard of a lot of people using Care Fresh paper bedding or something similar.

I wouldn't have even noticed the cage in the photo if I am being honest.

Ill look into that thank you for letting me know. So far there’s been no issues with my rats and I spend all day with them checking up on them all the time bc mites are prob one of my worst fears

It is important to freeze bedding for 48 to 72 hrs after you purchase it
In the winter people often just leave it in the car for a few days

How would you freeze bedding in the winter if your freezer is too small? Part of me wants to say do a little bit at a time, but there could always be leftover mites hiding.Genuine question, not meant to be snarky or sarcastic.

How would you freeze bedding in the winter if your freezer is too small? Part of me wants to say do a little bit at a time, but there could always be leftover mites hiding.Genuine question, not meant to be snarky or sarcastic.

I would leave it outside in the trunk of the car for a few days …….. or if I didn't have a car, I would likely leave it outside in a new, clean, sealed (so nothing could get into it) plastic garbage can that I bought solely for that purpose

I would leave it outside in the trunk of the car for a few days …….. or if I didn't have a car, I would likely leave it outside in a new, clean, sealed (so nothing could get into it) plastic garbage can that I bought solely for that purpose

I just realized... I meant to put summer instead of winter. :oops: Sorry for making you repeat yourself.

Awww …. I would make room in the freezer, maybe divide the bag in half and leave the unfrozen one in the trunk of the care etc, until it could be frozen

Awww …. I would make room in the freezer, maybe divide the bag in half and leave the unfrozen one in the trunk of the care etc, until it could be frozen

Thanks for responding, even when I made a silly mistake. I suspected as much. Time to clean out the freezer then! (It's hardcore winter here, just got four or five inches of snow, but still. My freezer's a mess).

I am running out of the detergent that I usually use when cleaning their bedding and such and I wanted to switch to a different kind as the one I was previously using was scented. And before you get mad at me, I only used a little bit each load and the bedding got aired out for about a week so the smell was gone by the time I used the bedding again. If the detergent that I mentioned in my original post is still available, do you think it would be suitable to use? My boys don't get their bedding that smelly so that isn't much of a problem. I thought that if I tried out a new detergent, it may help lower my one boys' reoccurring breathing problems.

unscented laundry detergent …. people use different brands depending on cost, where they live, personal ethics re the environment etc
some also add other things re odor control but you mentioned that is not an issue for you

unscented laundry detergent …. people use different brands depending on cost, where they live, personal ethics re the environment etc
some also add other things re odor control but you mentioned that is not an issue for you

Okay, thank you for your feedback. I was just unsure if it was safe but as I have heard, whatever brand works as long as it is unscented.

Back