Lasix causing bloating?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmn34

So my little one who has a bad URI and pneumonia was given lasix to help with the fluid in her lungs.

It has done wonders for her breathing! She went from literally choking on congestion to breathing almost normally.

Since her first dose two days ago, she has gone from 180 to 190g- but she has also stopped urinating in the usual manner. Before the lasix I would syringe feed her some watered down babyfood and it seemed like she would pee almost immediately.

Now she hardly pees at all. Much less volume and it is more yellow. Also hardly pooping.

Her abdomen feels bloated- whenever I give her food or drink, the mass goes in but does not come out. She is steadily increasing in weight. 1cc of food = 1g of weight.

Is this normal with lasix?

I see where it says "decreased urine output" as a sign of overdose, but she is on a dose of ~3 mg/kg which should not be that high.

Should I just keep feeding her more fluids? Is there any chance there might be a blockage that is causing the bloating? I don't want to keep forcing stuff in if she cant expel waste.

Last edited:
the lasix being a diuretic should make her pee more which can be a worry in sick rats as you need to prevent dehydration. The bloated belly is not a good sign at all, or the concentrated urine (more yellow). Has she been examined for internal masses?

The other possibility of why her breathing improved rapidly is she may have heart issues as lasix can affect/improve this dramatically hence why its often give to see if a rat HAS CHF. It often works within 24 hours with heart. Respiratory and heart issues often are concurrent.

She has not been examined for masses.

The bloating is definitely a result of the lasix. She was peeing and pooping fine every day this month.

I have not given her a dose of lasix since yesterday at this time. Her breathing is still quiet.

I had been letting her eat whatever she wanted lately because I thought she was about to die from pneumonia. Tuna salad, mayo, cheese, hamburger, peanut butter granola bars, ice cream. I suspect this might have had some effect.

I assumed she is constipated and dehydrated?

Last edited:
I gave her 10cc of SQ fluids and tried to get her to eat some oil.

Still no poop but she pees a little bit when I put her on the scale. Bright yellow and not super smelly.

How do I clear the constipation?

Last edited:
You could try a stool softener for babies. I don't know brand names. You might want to watch the dairy as she might have a sensitivity. Is she in pain at all?

I have always let her eat dairy- but always in very small amounts. Lately I had considered getting her to gain weight back to be more important than long term health, as she would not eat normal food. I had always been very careful about letting her eat too much junk food.

In the past however this never caused constipation- only vile, smelly poops.

It looked like megacolon from the pictures. Her whole abdomen was bloated with gas. She did appear to be in some discomfort; walking was difficult, as she could not move her back legs very well. Thankfully it did not last long. I probably should have given the SQ fluids a lot sooner- but I thought the pedialyte was enough. I have failed her. The only condolence is that she did not die from pneumonia.

Last edited:
Back