Large bald spot on back with possible scabbing. Help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katelyn425

I’m a new rat owner but I’ve had them for almost a couple months now and everything has been fine up until this point. But I went to work and was gone all day so they didn’t get out of their cage like they normally do and when I came back I found one of my babies had this bald spot on his back that wasn’t there when I had let them out to play the day before. I have two rats and both of them are males, and they have always been cuddly and kind to each other. I let them out of their cage as much as I can and give them attention and love in their cage a few times a day. They have multiple toys and I just bought them more a few days ago.. I’ve been reading up on it as soon as I noticed the spot and think it was barbering done by the cagemate but I’m unsure.. what can I do to help heal the spot and/or stop this from happening again? Sorry if the photos are bad he doesn’t like me looking at his spot.
C06026A9-4B30-431E-9F7C-74FECBFE2219.jpeg
B86E5344-52CA-4EF3-AA34-D870F0EE4CEB.jpeg
07C48660-65A7-41FA-8DB6-86C510562E71.jpeg
844B52D2-7773-4441-A1AB-7132D4396D0F.jpeg
ECE841E0-45F9-4924-A19C-E36DF5D8291F.jpeg

Are there tiny scabs? This could be a mite issue. I would do a treatment with Revolution and if it doesn't clear up, it might be pyoderma, a skin infection. I'd see a vet.

Are there tiny scabs? This could be a mite issue. I would do a treatment with Revolution and if it doesn't clear up, it might be pyoderma, a skin infection. I'd see a vet.
There's no small scabbs just some kind of orangeish/brown spots that aren't raised. Where could I find Revolution at?

Lots of times of times you'll beable to feel the scabs under their chins. They usually get them from their bedding. You need to freeze it for 48-72 hours before using.

Back