Knowing when it's time

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ktina

Tosca has always had scarred lungs, ever since I got her. Lately her breathing has been cominga bit more tough for her. She doesn't make noises when she breathes but she will sit with her sides heaving in and out very quickly. It's almost like it hurts her. She hasn't been breathing out of her mouth or gasping, though.

She hasn't been as active as usual, she rarely bounces around anymore and usually just sits there during out time by herself grooming or tryin to catch her breath.

I know you guys can't really help me decide when's the right time to let her go and that I should know, but I really am lost. She seems to still have so much life in her eyes, but I am afraid she's just not happy anymore.

So I want your guy's opinions, what do you think?

When they reach that stage I start them on abs and a steroid. It can really help reduce the inflammation for awhile. You might get weeks or months of happy life left. :)

If your vet doesn't "do" steroids you wait for that time when the quality of their life is no longer there. Their eyes get dim and not happy. Only you will know since you live with your babies.

I also use aminophylline. Larry, one of my beige boys, has ongoing breathing issues and we get the aminophylline crushed up in liquid. Helps his breathing a bit as its a bronchodilator.

Thanks, I'll try seeing if I can get her into the vet soon and get her on some steriods. My poor girl just hasn't been doing well since her sister, Emma, had to be PTS. :(

Back