kitten with diarrhea

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karelkees

Hi guys,

hope you can give me some advice.
last saturday i picked up two 6 week old boys at a well known breeder. all the rats seemed healthy and well taken care for. they weigh 200gr.

when i came home with them i noticed a lot of sneezing. my other rats are also sneezing, time of the year, getting colder, heating on... and with the kittens i thought new home sneezes/stress.
my other boys i give thyme tea when sneezing and it helps them.
i gave this to the babies too, i also directly switched them from the homemade breedermix to science selective nuggets (i feed it dry, and twice a day i feed some soaked nuggets)
saturday afternoon and sunday morning i fed them a little bit almo nature wet food (salmon and chicken)

sunday morning i noticed a foul smell in the babies cage. poo everywhere and one of them had wet poo on his tail and butt.
i cleaned it with warn water and i immediately stopped the thyme tea. and changed to fresh water only.

this morning still smell and diarrhea (not just kitten stresspoo i think) but it does seem to be a little bit less wet, i'm not sure.
i cleaned the cage up and cleaned him up. both babies are gaining weight (i weigh them every morning) and are eating and drinking well and are playfull.
the sneezing (just dry sneezes) continue and the diarrhea also.
they are on the same bedding that the breeder used: back to nature.

i also see norml poo, only one of the kittens has diarhhea.

do you think the diarrhea is stress related? came from the thyme tea? from the food change (from the breeder mix to science selective)?

is there anything i cn do for him now? give him somtehing like probiotics? or just let him get used to his new food, feed only the nuggets and clean water and see if it clears up?
(and keep a good eye on health/behaviour/growing)

Last edited:
Good news! Since this morning the little white boy almost stopped sneezing, the other boy (the one with diarrhea) sneezes when he wakes up, or when i pick him up. Sounds stress related. Dry sneezes, no phorphyrin.

This afternoon he was sleeping on his own in a hammock, with well formed stool behind him! I am so relieved!

They are both very playfull and curious, climb out the cage to play with me.
They are eating, drinking and growing.

Should i wait for the sneezes to go away complety? Or can i start a intro if his stool stays normal for another few days? They are over 200gr.

It sounds like the change in diet did the trick. Their tums just weren't quite ready for all of it.
Keep an eye on the sneezes that they remain dry and disappear in a week or so.

The lad with the diarrhea, did he bloat up at all then had the diarrhea?
If not it probably was what you fed, and taking it right back to basics often sorts them out.

He did not bloat up. No problems anymore besides the dry sneezes when excited.
They eat the SS dry without problems.
Uestersay and today they had a little bit almo wet food (salmon). No diarrhea. From now on i will feed one other thing besides the SS to see how his tummy reacts to the change.
Will keep an eye on the sneezing. It seems to happen when exciyed (playing/eating/out of cage)
I do not here him when he is sleeping.

Back