Kinda confused

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ihpp

Hey all. I'm new here and a new rat mom. I got my rat Henry the end of April. Actually, one month ago today. I believe hesh about 3 or 4 months old now, but I'm not certain of it. He's finally allowing me to hold him and pet him and I've now noticed that he has purple spots that look like bruises on him. I don't have a clue as he is eating and drinking fine, acting normal and there are no lumps or bumps that I can feel on his body. He also has a younger companion with him but he doesn't seem to have any marks on him. They rough house a bit here and there and I hear one of them squeak when. They play. I'm not sure if that may have something to do with it or not.
Is this normal or is this something that is going to require a vet visit? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190528_090945.jpg
    20190528_090945.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Don't quote me here but it looks like the fur is shorter there? If that's the case their cagemate may be barbering them which is a dominant action. How long have they been together in the cage? The same amount of time you've had him or did you introduce them recently?

Recently. I believe I got the new guy 2 weeks ago. I was told since its neutral territory because Henry hadn't been in this cage I could put them in at the same time. They have been fine besides the rough housing. I know Rizzo the new little guy has pinned Henry down and vice versa.

Recently. I believe I got the new guy 2 weeks ago. I was told since its neutral territory because Henry hadn't been in this cage I could put them in at the same time. They have been fine besides the rough housing. I know Rizzo the new little guy has pinned Henry down and vice versa.
There is a chance he is over grooming as well. If rats get stressed they will often over groom. I remember when I had my boys in a smaller cage one almost went bald but when I moved them to a bigger cage his fur grew back beautifully.

This doesnt seem like over grooming. It's just purple spots ‍

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Before we talk about your rats, please put a more precise location for your profile (just the state is fine). It'll allow some of us to point you in the direction of local rescues, vets, etc.

Beautiful boy you got there, despite the purple spot! Make sure that nothing in his cage has purple dye, because that may be rubbing off on him. Do you know if Henry fell and is now bruised from his fall?

As for introductions, think of rats just like people. Even if they're on neutral ground, you still can't expect them to live together comfortably. They don't know each other and the roughhousing may actually be fighting. Next time, try introductions first. Only very young rats can be put together with no introductions, and Henry's too old for that. A new cage is definitely helpful because it smells like neither of them, but still, they may be fighting.

Either way, I would suggest consulting a vet about them, just to be sure. If Henry's fur is thinner, he may have external parasites and itching himself too much.

He doesnt seem to be itching any more then normal. I'm in New Jersey outside of Philadelphia. Not sure how to change it on my profile. They seem to get along fine. Just chase each other around and pin each other and groom.

Are the spots raised at all, is that area soft, inflamed, harder, painful, any other info would be great. And welcome. I'm new too, I have many fosters and have for a long time. I take in hospice cases and behavioral cases mostly, generally provide a forever home as they're unadoptable usually. So that's me, lol. Glad to meet you. ,

Nope. Doesnt seem raised or painful to him. I rub him all over and he doesn't make any noises or trying to get away. ‍truly baffled

Your pic makes it look like the thinning hair from a baby molt. How old is he? 6-9 weeks is when you usually see these things.

Pele actually looked like a pink hoodie during her molt. :p

Jan%2010%2016%20Pele%20molting.jpg~original

Back