Keeping my girls stimulated

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade5233

Hey, I just wanted some advice on keeping my 2 girls stimulated when in and out the cage. When they are out, they have the run of my hallway with various tubes and one of those cat trees which they can climb up. I spread around some treats for them to find. But in worried they may get bored with the set up. I am from the UK so my house isn't the size of some American homes so I don't have loads of room to store much more than the climbing tree and a few boxes. Is this enough for them? They are out of the cage for 2-4 hours a day. Thanks in advance

Don't be afraid to make DIY toys. I like to make extremely simple toilet paper tubes toys. There's a TON of simple DIY rat toys out there! I keep forgetting to save my tubes, but my rats loved tearing into them and getting the treats inside. I also used cups, but that was back when my family ran and in-home daycare and we had to keep tiny paper cups around the house.

Don't be afraid to rearrange the set-up as well. As simple as it seems, changing how their home is set up can be mentally stimulating. You can put their tubes higher or lower, on the other side of the hallway, turn their cat tree around, etc. You can also change out toy in and out of their cage, regardless of if they've been chewed or not.

I reguarly give my rats new veggies or fruits to get them thinking and excited.

You can train your rats tricks and commands when outside of their cage. Shadow the Rat on Youtube has fantastic tutorial videos :)

you may want to have a look at the threads about people showing pictures of their cages and pictures of their play areas - it may give you some ideas

Please see the Reference Thread as it contains a lot of good information including links about toys, enrichment and posts showing people's cages https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Back