Keeping an EYE on Butter Bean RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M0onkist said:
Can you get your hands on some Green Mush, Jo? It's that powdered super-concentrated green veggies etc. I add half a teaspoon to Ducky's heaping teaspoon of baby cereal, and a half teaspoon of ground flax. Then when I mix it up it's still the same in consistency as normal baby cereal would be, but a vivid green and it smells like spinach and strawberries. I swear she's gained almost 20g on that mixture, and can't get enough of it - I don't even have to give her Ensure. Maybe that would help for sweet Butter Bean (and do give him many kisses from me!).

If it wasn't for the spirulina in the Green Mush, I'd definitely get some. There is no question that spirulina has some great qualities and health benefits but in the last few years, there have been some alarming studies claiming neurotoxins, muscle breakdown one most recently, liver cancer, so I'm staying away from that stuff. :(

Ugh - is there a minimum dose of spirulina before those symptoms present? Or is it just any tiny amount will do it?

I love the Green Mush for everything else, obviously - but I don't like it if it will hurt my wee baby.

M0onkist said:
Ugh - is there a minimum dose of spirulina before those symptoms present? Or is it just any tiny amount will do it?

I love the Green Mush for everything else, obviously - but I don't like it if it will hurt my wee baby.
I can't recall exactly, that was a while ago.

M0onkist said:

I can't recall exactly, that was a while ago. And it's not all spirulina, some will cause an issue while some don't.

Butter Bean is not doing well. He hasn't eaten all day. I wonder if that chlorpalm is making him have stomach pains. He's pouffy and squinty. How long do I give the Chlorpalm to work? When do we throw in the towel?

Poor BB baby. :(
BBonCube_zps49b94202.jpg

jorats said:
Butter Bean is not doing well. He hasn't eaten all day. I wonder if that chlorpalm is making him have stomach pains. He's pouffy and squinty. How long do I give the Chlorpalm to work? When do we throw in the towel?

Poor BB baby. :(
BBonCube_zps49b94202.jpg

Poor sweetie. :heart:

Chloropalm can take a while. I'd not seen it cause stomach pains in any of mine. Can you just give him some warm soy milk with a bit of pablum just to keep tiny bits of moisture/food in him until the meds can kick in to work? It can take a good while with the Chloropalm. It sometimes took a month or more for me to see a difference with some of mine on it, and sometimes I thought it wasn't going to work; but it finally did. At this point, just syringe a tiny bit of soy or rice milk into him to keep him hydrated. You can add a bit of nutritional yeast flakes to that too, and just keep him warm and comfortable.

He is such a sweetheart. I know how hard it is to see them like this. Give it a bit of time. You will know if his eyes tell you he's had enough; but sometimes, even when it seems 'almost there', they can still rally.

Sending love and healing your way. :heart:

Back