Keeping an EYE on Butter Bean RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
A week ago, I noticed that Butter Bean wasn't feeling well. I decided to check out his teeth. Sure enough they were crooked but not that bad. But then the next day, he seemed worse so I started him on Baytril. A day later and the whole right side of his face swelled up bad, that's when I knew it was time to visit the vet. She checked his teeth and sure enough, they are crooked but she didn't want to sedate him and cut it because on top of all this stress BB's lungs took a nose dive. He sounds rough. My vet was confidant that Baytril might help BB eat his blocks again and grind down his teeth on his own. No such luck. Sure the swelling when completely down, he's looking good on that side of his face but he's still not eating well. Thank god for that diet gel I got online, that's the only thing he can eat and watered down Oxbow. Yesterday, I noticed his eye is forming a lump in the dead centre. almost looks like pus was going to come out. So back to the vet. So she thinks oddly enough, BB must have two infections going on. One, a molar abscess, but controlled with Baytril and an eye infection on the other side. So now BB is on Baytril, Clavamox, Metacam and eye lubricant. We are going to try and save that eye. But if it keeps getting too ugly, she will remove it, if his lungs get better which they are so far. So keep your fingers crossed for Butter Bean!

Here he is a week ago.
BBGel800_zpsab4836b7.jpg

BB_zps1d119866.jpg

**** If you don't like infected eye pics, don't look down. Although, I don't think they are that bad.

A couple of days ago:
Bbeye2_zpsb9c6801f.jpg

BBeye1_zps55d223da.jpg

And today.
BBeye4_zps1e0258c4.jpg

Poor bean! Hugs to him. and extra tasty treats even if they are fattening and horrible for him. what do you do at this point just watch it and give him meds?

If he didn't have the swelling on the other side of his face I would think the eye was the initial problem, causing him not to grind his teeth down properly as it hurt his eye to chew normally...another conundrum ratty in our midst. Poor Beaner...kisses to him! :heart:

Oh, sweet Butter Bean!

Gentlest of kisses to him, and all my love - I hope at least he's not in pain (though I'm sure with your care he isn't!) and that he heals up as well as he possibly can given the circumstances.

lilspaz68 said:
If he didn't have the swelling on the other side of his face I would think the eye was the initial problem, causing him not to grind his teeth down properly as it hurt his eye to chew normally.
Oh, this gives me hope then that the tooth issue might be minor if it did originate with the eye.

Joanne said:
Poor little man! Does your vet think the two things are linked? or just coincidence? I hope he is feeling better.
We never discussed it. But I will bring up with lilspaz said that perhaps it started with the eye first. Hopefully it will resolve itself. Poor little guy is not having diarrhea because of the meds. :(

I am amazed at how strong rats truly are. BB's eye pretty much exploded in the early hours of Sunday. Of course we have no e-vets here that see rats. So with the help of lilspaz, she talked me down off the ledge and helped me understand what's happening and what to expect.
I've been keeping pressure on his eye so he doesn't bleed out. I've been keeping him on meds and doped up on metacam. I've also been keeping him warm and fed, it's all I can do. Tomorrow, I pray my vet can squeeze us in.

Butter Bean, looks in good spirits considering. He completely enjoyed my vegan stew. He has mashed potatoes, whole wheat macaroni, carrots, peas, corn and tomatoes. I gave him some cuddles, as much as he would let me... he's never been the touchy feely type.
Please send us some healing vibes.

Healing vibes coming in at you by the millions from me!!

Poor, poor Butter Bean! Can only imagine how tough it is to keep pressure on a rat's eye, or on any part of a rat. He's in the best hands, Jo, and I really do hope your vet sees you asap!!

Back