Itchy rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratamataz

So lately my ratties seem to be scratching... like, they'll be ambling along normally, and then suddenly stop and itch and groom furiously. They seem to do it often, and it really seems like they should have fleas or mites, but when I part the fur I can't see any bugs, scabs, or flea dirt. I do have some revolution for cats. Is it okay to give them a percautionary dose? Should I get kitten revolution for them?
What about my hairless guys? Can they get mites too, or would I definately see bugs if they had any?

If you don't think they have bugs then it could be reaction to the drying effects of air conditioning (or heating) if you have that on, for that you could put bowls of water around your place to moisten the air. They aren't getting too much protein, are they? You could also try giving them virgin olive oil in their food.

(My hairless never got mites when someone brought them in)

If you feel its excessive scratching for them and you have Cat Revolution, go ahead and treat them. Can't hurt at all. :)

Make sure which Cat you have, most are 60 mg/ml, which is the same strength as the Kitten/Puppy. Its just more actual Revolution.

Do you know the doses you need? Can you weigh your rats?

I know their weights from when I last took them to the vet, about two months ago. Do you suppose that's accurate enough, or should it be a more recent weight? I also have a small kitchen scale I could use. I do recall reading the dosage of revolution somewhere, I think it was 0.5ml/100g? I'll have to look it up.

They aren't getting too much protein, are they?
Actually, they are getting a bit too much protein from their lab blocks.(The Mazuri from Petsmart, 23%) I keep meaning to order them a better block with lower protein but it keeps slipping my mind. I know that's no excuse. :oops: :oops: This paycheck I am GOING to order them some better food! :doh: *drilling into thick skull*

Ok I am going to say this so please don't be too shocked.....

Lab blocks can have too much protein in them??? So what is an acceptable level. I think mine is Living world from Pet Value. I will check what it says tonight.

Check to see if they have any scabs on them, even if it's just one. If so then it could be buggies.
Scabs could also be caused by a high protein diet but that is very uncommon.
How old are they?

I haven't seen any scabs on them so far. I'm going to double check them closely tonight just to make sure.
Two of the guys who are scratching are both seven months old, and the other guy (my rescue) I'm not sure, but he grew a little in the shelter so I'd say around seven or eight months old.

A male between 5 to 8 months will scratch their sides more but that's because they are marking. Do you see them scratch their sides or is it a random scratch all over the place?

I have seen them scratch at their sides often. They also use their teeth often to scratch and kind of "chew" their backsides, and they scratch at their necks and behind their ears with their hind legs. They'll stop and do this suddenly, as if they've had a sudden itch attack. It mostly happens when they are out and about, though when they are lounging I've seen them lift a hind leg to scratch while lying down.

Mmm... when they lick their feet/hands and scratch, that's how they are cleaning.
But you know, you can always do a treatment, it won't harm them none.

When they do their "scratch attack" they don't lick their their paws and feet first, they just scratchscratchscratch...although they do tend to groom themselves afterwards. It just seems like they do it more often than they should.
Maybe I'm being paranoid? I'm a bit of a hypochondriac myself, so maybe I'm one with my pets, too! :roll:
Anyways, I'll give them a treatment just to be on the safe side. I'm going to switch their lab block too.
Thank you everyone for the advice! :D

Back