itchy rats

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by reillyratgirl, Sep 14, 2010.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1

reillyratgirl

reillyratgirl

reillyratgirl

Is it normal for rats to itch themselves a lot, not excesses just a lot. My ratties look perfectly healthy with glossy fur and clear eyes. They eat well. I just noticed they scratch a lot. No scabs or anything on them.

2. Sep 14, 2010 #2

MomRat

MomRat

MomRat

Some people say that a diet too high in protein can cause dry skin/itching. What are you feeding them? All rats scratch to some degree, it is part of grooming and, well, we all get an itch sometime. You can also try feeding them a little olive oil now and then, drizzled on bread or their veggies. As long as you see no buggies, and there are no scabs forming around faces, ears, neck and shoulders, you're probably not infested. :nod:

3. Sep 14, 2010 #3

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

If you see them scratch then lick the paw and scratch again, then it's probably grooming.

4. Sep 15, 2010 #4

reillyratgirl

reillyratgirl

reillyratgirl

I try and limit the protein. They get the lab blocks and then some people food. Mostly veggies. I have some dried bread with flax seeds that I was saving for them. I am going to try the Olive oil trick.
    I do think that one may have dried skin now. Thanks a lot! I love my new pets and want to do what is best for them.