itchy rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reillyratgirl

Is it normal for rats to itch themselves a lot, not excesses just a lot. My ratties look perfectly healthy with glossy fur and clear eyes. They eat well. I just noticed they scratch a lot. No scabs or anything on them.

Some people say that a diet too high in protein can cause dry skin/itching. What are you feeding them? All rats scratch to some degree, it is part of grooming and, well, we all get an itch sometime. You can also try feeding them a little olive oil now and then, drizzled on bread or their veggies. As long as you see no buggies, and there are no scabs forming around faces, ears, neck and shoulders, you're probably not infested. :nod:

I try and limit the protein. They get the lab blocks and then some people food. Mostly veggies. I have some dried bread with flax seeds that I was saving for them. I am going to try the Olive oil trick.
I do think that one may have dried skin now. Thanks a lot! I love my new pets and want to do what is best for them.

Back