It’s been too long since I’ve had babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaitlynnR

I’ve been rescuing older rats for a few years now and I decided that for Valentine’s Day I wanted a pair of little girls. I got more than a pair as the spouse brought home 4 babies (all 4 were colours that I love so I guess there was no leaving them behind haha). All 4 are super active, eating, drinking and playing. One is a little small but she’s the runt so I’ll have to make sure she’s getting something extra.

The biggest problem is that the little blue girl is sneezing A LOT. No wheezing and she’s not acting sick. I wouldn’t be worried normally with new rats as they usually sneeze when you bring them home, but she sneezes so hard she wakes herself up. She’ll be passed out hard and then basically spasm with sneezes and wake her siblings up. It’s very dramatic. Does that sound normal for new home sneezes?

No one else is sneezing like that. Every once in a while there’s a sneeze here and there but nothing like the one girl.

It’s been too long since I’ve had babies.

All advice is appreciated :)

Yep... I'd be worried too if she sneezes while sleeping like that. Normally, new home sneezes is due to over sniffing. I would probably have her checked by a vet and make sure you tell him your observations. He may not hear anything wrong with her but he should make an assessment based on you tell him about the sneezes and how strong they are.

Yep... I'd be worried too if she sneezes while sleeping like that. Normally, new home sneezes is due to over sniffing. I would probably have her checked by a vet and make sure you tell him your observations. He may not hear anything wrong with her but he should make an assessment based on you tell him about the sneezes and how strong they are.

Luckily I know a good vet that trusts me and my observations so that's no problem at all! I just didn't want to put the little girl through more stress than needed as the vet is a two-hour drive from me :( but thank you, I most definitely will be bringing her to the vet now. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I was hoping it would be nothing serious as I got her from a breeder and she wasn't sneezing at all the first two days I had her. I guess I should maybe stick to pet stores when I get new rats? I seem to have better luck there believe it or not :confused:

Instead of pet stores etc, in the future I would suggest you try rescue rats - from rat rescues, shelters or rats being rehomed as they are likely to be just as healthy as other rats and may have been quarantined

Instead of pet stores etc, in the future I would suggest you try rescue rats - from rat rescues, shelters or rats being rehomed as they are likely to be just as healthy as other rats and may have been quarantined

Unfortunately I disagree. I’ve been rescuing rats for years now and they always turn out to be my lemons. Mycoplasma is in every rat, so even a quarantined rat can still get sick if under a lot of stress.

I made the comment about the breeder absentmindedly but what I really meant was I was hoping they’d be more socialized. Pet store rats are so stressed for multiple reasons and I find moving them around, meeting new people and being introduced to new environments can easily start a flare up. Whereas the one rat I got from a breeder was very well socialized and had no stress at all no matter what situation she was in. She never got sick and lived to be 3! I still can’t believe it.

But yes, either way I will be taking all of my babies to the vet and they’ll be treated. This experience with a breeder has been bad but maybe in a few years I’ll try it again :)

And I will continue to rescue rats, no worries! I live in a small town and I was a volunteer at our local shelter so they know me very well. I get every rat who comes in there :confused: more to love I guess lol

yes, all rats have myco .... quarantine helps to avoid exposing existing rats to rats that may have the common usually terminal virus rats may catch

Like Jorats, I haven't found any difference in the health or life spans between rats from breeders and rescues. And depending upon the situation, in my experience, rescued rats can be very well socialized.

Great that you adopt rats from your local shelter

Back