Isabella has a abcess/tumor on throat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So today when I went to let the older girls out I noticed that isabell has a lump on her throat..how I haven't noticed till now I don't know because it is about the size of a small marble..I don't wanna say it appeared overnight but it is quite obvious and I didn't notice it till tonight..I had hubby hold her so I could feel and its hard but feels free moving under her skin. When we first got her we fought for weeks with the abcess on her neck that took 2 rounds of an antibiotics 2 drainings and a surgery to get rid of but this feels nothing like those..should I try warm compress on it though I'm scared of choking her since it is right on her throat..would it be safe to try it?

My boy Throttle (RIP) got two jaw absesses, one was on the side of his jaw and caused jaw bone damage - this one the vet could aspirate and clean out. The second one was under his jaw up against his neck and could not be aspirated - they tried, but nothing came out. The vet originally thought bone cancer, but tests came back negative. We used Flagyl and it cleared up the absesses. However, every time we stopped it that bottom jaw one would reappear and it moved around so he had to be a Flagyl lifer. He was also on metacam and tramadol since apparently they are very painful and he was not eating when he had them.

That is my fear that we can't get it drained/removed because I know it has to be causing her some discomfort being right on her throat like that..haven't checked on her today as she is snuggled in the cube with the other 2 girls so letting them be for now..hopefully the vet can get her in this coming week.

I'll try to get one tonight when hubby gets home from work..cause he will have to hold her still for me to get a good one

Here is the best I could get..it has some spots looks like she has been scratching at it..I don't wanna say its hard as a rock but it is pretty solid from what I can feel and of course I am not gonna squeeze it hard enough to hurt her..

It is an abscess :) she drained it and gave her antibiotics and said if it fills back up she will make an insicion so we can help keep the infection out by cleaning it

That is the same area one of Throttle's was. Like I said unless he stayed on Flagyl the thing would keep coming back. I certainly hope your girl has a one and done. Healing vibes from us.

This is actually her second one.. When we first got her she had one on the side of her neck that was a pain to get rid of so I won't be surprised if this one puts up a fight as well...

Back