is this poop normal?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michidotblu

i have one adult female and two younger girls, about 2-3 months old. i adopted the babies only a month ago, and recently have noticed some weird stool. the poop is glossy, and almost the color of milk chocolate. sometimes it’s even a wet-ish puddle, and an even lighter brown. this has been going on for a few days now. nothing super watery or anything, but their stool just looks off to me. the only thing is, none of my rats are lethargic. they’re all out playing as i type this and being active and curious. they’re eager for food and their water bowls are being used. i keep trying to ween the babies and the adult onto daily veggies, but have stopped because each time i do i always notice slightly softer stool. (my adult used to be on daily veggies with her old sister until she had to live in the babies cage while she got to know them). 2 times a week though i do give them raining ratteries (i think i got their name wrong, i’m sorry) rat mush, which is basically a seed mix with good vitamins in it and such. it’s mushy, but i make sure to give the babies a smaller portion than the adult to avoid diarrhea. last night i put yogurt in their mush to help with the poop. their stool is slightly soft, sometimes even clumping to the litter (which i don’t usually notice), and super glossy and just all around “wet” looking. i feel like i’ve never noticed this before, but maybe i’m just all in my head about this and their stool is fine. kind of why i’m making this post, i’d rather not spend hundreds of dollars taking my three rats to the vet if this is something not so serious. if necessary though i will take them to the vet, so please let me know what your opinion is. thank you.

E62D836D-3BAC-4835-8AEA-5DE97773E42D.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

last photo is of mushier and lighter stool. i’m pretty sure my female left it, it’s a super weird shape. not “log” shaped.

Last edited:
What are you feeding along with their staple? I don't see anything too worrying about those poops, they happen off and on all during their lives.
Are you feeding fruit?

What are you feeding along with their staple? I don't see anything too worrying about those poops, they happen off and on all during their lives.
Are you feeding fruit?
i feed them rat mush from raining rattery 2 times a week and their regular pellet food is oxbow regal rat. i tried to feed them vegetables but they kept getting runny poops so i stopped. i’ll try again later though, i like feeding my rats veggies daily.

Back