Is this cage okay?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat_lover16

I dont have a ton of money but their first cage was a Living World Rat Starter Kit http://ca-en.hagen.com/Small-Animal/Housing/Kits/61850

I went to petsmart and bought this one for them instead (the other one was an old cage I had laying around) so I thought it was time for an upgrade/new cage. Its call the All Living Things Deluxe Rat Home or something like thats. Its a bit bigger then the first cage and has 3 levels and a base instead of 2 levels and a base. I looked into the Critter Nation and cannot afford that right now maybe next year. What do you think?

CIMG4216_zps184b2b5b.jpg

I couldn't find it on their site so I'm not entirely sure of the dimensions. If it's 30x18x30, it's fine for 2-3 rats. Many of the reviews I read talked about poor quality shelves and ramps but you can make your own if they break on you.

The price of Critter Nations has fallen a lot (the cheapest place to get them in Canada is amazon.ca with free shipping) and I'm seeing used CNs for lower and lower prices. Recently I've seen 2 single units for $100 in my area. Keep an eye out on used classifieds if you're looking to upgrade, you can find some great deals.

Edit: Also, you may want to read up on rat nutrition on the forum. Seed mixes are really not the best option for rats and you want your rats to be as healthy and healthy as possible so they can fight off any potential illnesses. Rats are not the healthiest pet to begin with, we have to do our best to keep them in good shape.

I went digging...its 2' x 3' x 3' so its fine for size and bar spacing :)

We are going to have to help you decorate it so they don't just hide in the hammock. They probably feel very exposed outside of it.

More hammocks (you can buy them from people on here...MUCH nicer and less expensive than the store bought crap. If you cannot afford these go to the dining mat section at Dollarama pick up something that won't have strings if its chewed, punch holes in the corner and use metal shower hooks (also Dollarama) to hang them up

You can go back to dollarama (I love those wood chew toys!) and pick up foam shapes, push the metal shower hooks through them and hang them up for the rats to tug at and shred. :)

A wheel would be awesome if you can get one...solid base or mesh only, and must be a minimum of 11" wide...if you are lucky the boys will run on it for part of their lives, keeping them healthier.

A box for the bottom so they have another safe place as well...pop box or something similar is good. Once they feel more secure, then they will start to poke their nose out and check out their environment.

I have this cage and I like it alot. I have tons of stuff in it and my rats are happy. I have two boys, and although the cage calculator says it can house upto four, I wouldn't put anymore than three. bigger is always better!

I do have another hammock I can put in there it came with the cage. I use lab blocks as well (Im currently trying to find the Teklad blocks in Canada). Im planning to decorate it more though....the Critter nation is tempting my credit card is staring at me telling me to do it but my budget however says not to with some unhealthy animals in a kitten that needs to be spayed soon. Ill have to think about it :) The ladders will be coming out as they dont even use them

It is actually called an All living thing luxury rat home. I personally get annoyed with the cage it is difficult to decorate and hard to clean. the plastic just allows pee to sit there and get gross fast.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4470997

My 4 girls just made a back door in it. I found two running behind the cage :) It is a decent cage and better than most. I have had a few no more than 4 in there but I mostly use it for babies when we have them it is perfect for little ones. It is to small for big males, they get awkward walking down the ramps and as they age this cage will be bad for them. Feisty ferret is a good cage, cheaper than a FN/CN and better than most plastic cages.

You can fit a regular wheel in there I would do that before using the one that comes with it, the bars on the side of the wheel scare me a neck could get stuck in there.

Yes, thats the cage. Petsmart doesnt have it listed on the Canadian petsmart website I had to switch over to the American one. My browser defaults me to the Canadian one since im in Canada thats why I couldnt find it :) The ladders are coming out and cleaning so far for me hasnt been to bad. Im looking into other cages maybe in a few months I can upgrade.

Glad you are getting on with your new cage. If you do upgrade I have got the Feisty ferret cage, it is cheaper that the critter nation and seems to be really good. Lots of room for the money :)

This thread is almost 9 years old
This site puts old threads at the bottom of the screen …….. IMO they can be informative and interesting to read, but people might want to check the dates before responding to them

This thread is almost 9 years old
This site puts old threads at the bottom of the screen …….. IMO they can be informative and interesting to read, but people might want to check the dates before responding to them
Oops! Thanks I didn’t even notice

It is easy to miss

EDIT: If this cage was 2' x 3' x 3' in 2013,
then the company reduced its size because the base is much smaller now

This cage is now sold as a starter cage and thus a temporary cage, so better to save your money and purchase a good cage that will last them

Rats need a cage with a base at least 30 in by 18 in and height with large levels

Last edited:
Back