Is this a problem?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilight

I just figured out that my 2-year-old rattie, Willow, ate an entire whimzee chew thing!! (It's a dog treat like a Greenie treat. I usually give him small amounts each time to help wear down his teeth) Should I be concerned? He is less active as usual (staying in his little igloo practically all day) but that might be because he's alone at the moment- his brother passed away recently, and I'm picking up new ratties on Friday.

It was one of these, I believe

I’m not an experienced rat owner, but I do have dogs! I know years ago there were concerns about (at least certain) dental chews swelling in a dogs stomach if too much or too large a portion was consumed. To the best of my knowledge they have since changed their recipes and this is no longer an issue. A dog can consume an entire bag causing stomach upset / diarrhea. I’d imagine it’d be the same for rats?

For dogs, feeding bland food such as plain boiled chicken / plain white rice / plain pumpkin purée helps soothe the stomach. Maybe there’s a rat equivalent? I’d also be curious if the opposit, constipation, is something to be on the look out for?

Wishing you all the best 🐭

It may have upset his stomach. But he may also be mourning the loss of his brother. I'd keep an eye on him, make sure he's eating (or at least drinking, since that's more important right now), and just give him his pellets for now. But I'm leaning more on the side of him being sad and lonely. I give my rats chews that look like little alligators, but I cut them in tiny portions the size of the nail on my thumb (or else they'd do this). LOL. Hope he feels better when you get him some friends. Just make sure to do proper intros. 😁

Back