Is there any hope to reintroduce my aggressive rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricketnbowie

Long story short, I currently have a 26 month old aggressive rat that lives alone and a 16 month old lonely rat whose brother was just put to sleep. Due to the old guys advanced age the vet will not neuter. He is fine with people but really really hates other rats. I’ve tried the carrier method with lots of yummy treats and positive reinforcement to no avail.

I’m adopting a new rat Sunday (yay!) but he needs to quarantine for a couple weeks before introducing him to my 16 month old, who is very lonely and sad since his buddy passed. I tried to put my two in a carrier the other day and at first they took turns (politely) pinning each other, but it quickly became a rat ball so I had to separate them.

Is there any hope to reintroduce my old guy? The 16 mo old is definitely the stronger of the two since he’s about the same size but younger. Old guy really tried to hurt him when he was smaller.

I have a similar issue with my boy mochi. In mochis case I wont be able to reintroduce because he is very very agressive with other rats. I had him out with my neutered male (so he wouldnt feel threathened by testes) and all he did was badger my poor guy. Sniffing the peen and overall bullying. If your older dude is ok with people, my suggestion is to give him plenty of toys and stimulation and playtime, but ultimately keep them apart. Mochi is thriving on his on, in his own cage. He hates even smelling the other boys. He will get all angry and sniff really hard and try to bite at them through the bars if they get too close.

If I have them out before I take him out, he is more likely to mark (heavily scented too) and attack any skin he can find. Meaning I have many a scar from him just wrenching on my arm/leg. Other than him getting hormonal rage, he is the best rat I've had. Super social, very trusting and trustworthy. I basically let him out and he does his own thing for a bit (maily sniffing and trying to find snacks that I hide) and comes running back to sniff me really hard.

I have come to find out he hates the sound of paper scrathing together and and shkskshsk sounds. He immediately puffs up and tries to attack me. I've learned that lesson .. never again haha

Last edited:
Back