Is there a near-perfect or perfect cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfish89

Hi All,
This is the first time that I'm owning rats. I will be getting them in two weeks once they've been weaned. I'll be getting two males, one hooded and another black berkshire.
I decided to customize my own cage because the Critter Nation is not available where I live (the Philippines).
I want inputs as to the materials, hardware, and measurements before I send out my order to the manufacturer.

If you could have a perfect cage, what would its features be?

What are the downsides to Critter Nation? What are its best features?

Thanks in advance!

Just so you are aware, baby boys are separated from their mama and sisters at 5 weeks and not rehomed until at least 6 weeks old.
A cage must have small bar spacing so the rats can not get out and predators can not enter
A cage must be at least 4 cubic feet in size for 2 rats but bigger is better
a cage must have a base at least 30 in by 18 inches (the critter nation is 36 inches by 24 inches) but bigger is better
A cage needs to have height with large levels (the single critter nation has one shelf that is 24 inches by 18 inches, the double critter nation has a second level the same size as the base and two of the shelves)
A cage needs to have one or more large doors for ease of cleaning and so that large items can be easily put into the cage and taken out to be cleaned
The base of the cage needs to have smooth sides so that rats will have a difficult time chewing it
Cages need to be raised at least a foot off the floor to help prevent drafts as drafts will cause illness

What type of cage are you modifying?
If you post pictures, we might be able to make suggestions

If you have access to a large rabbit cage that has a base at least 40 inches by 18 inches, the outside of the cage can be covered in wire hardware cloth (galvanized will rust) so that the cage has small wire grids.
Here is an example without the hardware cloth Fixed up rabbit cages

you might also like to check out our Reference Thread including the info on cages REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

and this info might be helpful Thinking of getting a rat? Things to consider
check out the habitat section of this forum to see cages and how they are set up

Last edited:
Hi!
Thanks for replying.
I don't plan on modifying a cage, rather, i will have a cage custom-made to reflect the dimensions of the crittter nation.

Back