Is recovery likely?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hostilehank

My sweet girl Ada has pyometra, she's on antibiotics today and tomorrow and then most likely a spay on Sunday.
I honestly didn't realise how attached I was to her until today, I just want her to be okay but she looks so poorly and it's breaking my heart.

Is she likely to even survive until the spay, and how dodgy is going under for rats? This is the first time I've had to deal with an ill ratty as it's my first time owning them.

What are you seeing as symptoms?
1) round belly, infected discharge?
2) discharge?
3) vaginal bleeding? If so, how much, and if it's only vaginal bleeding were you given antibiotics to rule out a genital myco infection?

What are you seeing as symptoms?
1) round belly, infected discharge?
2) discharge?
3) vaginal bleeding? If so, how much, and if it's only vaginal bleeding were you given antibiotics to rule out a genital myco infection?

She's lost a ton of weight, has bloody and infected discharge from her genitals and is starting to lose her appetite but she was eating fine until today.

The vet did an ultrasound and said she could see what looked like infection in the uterus and that it's a good sign the discharge is coming out as it means it's not a closed pyometra. She's been put on baytril and metacam.

She was put on the antibiotics to try and clear it up as best they could before surgery, I'm just worried that she's too thin for the anesthesia, she's a year old too.

Ok yes a true open pyometra then. The antibiotics are started to work on the infection prior to surgery. I think in her case you just have to go for the surgery asap as there's no other options. She must feel pretty rotten. If you haven't already try to give her soft tasty foods to tempt her to eat.

Ok yes a true open pyometra then. The antibiotics are started to work on the infection prior to surgery. I think in her case you just have to go for the surgery asap as there's no other options. She must feel pretty rotten. If you haven't already try to give her soft tasty foods to tempt her to eat.

Thanks, I'll go ahead with it tomorrow morning then, hopefully she'll pull through.

Think she's feeling awful today, she took one nibble out of a pea but I haven't been able to get her to eat anything else, I'll try tempting her with something soft. :(

Back