Is my son allergic to his rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Christine87

we purchased 2 rats March 2018,

The rats cage and the rats stay in my sons bedroom (6yrs old)

8 months later (November 18 )my son developed a cough, it’s lasted until now, (March 19) it’s very wheezy and chesty at times, I’ve only now sort of put two and two together.

Is it likely he’s allergic? I don’t know what to do with these rats now !

For a definitive answer, I'd call your son's doctor and see what he or she says. If you can, try moving the rats out of his room to test out the theory.

I have a slight allergy to my rats because their tails make my skin itch and hives appear wherever they've walked. I've heard some people say this is because of the urine and feces that build up under their nails. washing my arms and hands with lukewarm water and soap seems to alleviate the symptoms, but it takes up to two hours for my hives to disappear afterwards. I also just have very sensitive skin.

You could always have your son allergy tested. Also, you could try using an air purifier in the room. Make sure you clean the cages with mild soap, and water once a month, and make sure the bedding is dust free. He could be allergic to the bedding as well. Maybe switch to fleece, and when you do weekly cage cleanings, wash the fleece in non scented laundry soap and warm water. Make sure you don't wash with any of the clothing you or your son may wear. Also, you can try allergy meds on your son. But I'd definitely start with the Dr. Kids that age often bring home all kinds of illnesses. Also, could help to make sure good hand washing practices are done any time after the rats are handled. Most rat allergies are easily handled, but in some severe cases, rehoming is necessary. Just make sure you know what kind of home you'll be sending them to if need be.

Also, for the time being, maybe move the rats into a different room, and see if that helps.

It is always good to keep rats in a main room if possible.
They need the interaction etc

I have noticed that when rats are kept in a room where the door is shut, there is less air circulation and air quality can be impacted.
If possible I would suggest moving them to a main room in your household.

You might try using an air purifier with a permanent hepta filter and replaceable carbon filter, that is large enough for the room the rats are in, (Do not use and ionizer as it will harm the rats)

Back