Is my rat pregnant?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Digimama

Hello everyone, I hope you guys are having a great day.
Well, where to begin. I adopted a lil rattie the 25 of July of this year. At the time, she was 2 months old, more or less.
The thing is, she’s sharing a cage with my other rat, who is also a female (just to make clear that the new baby hasn’t been in contact with any male rats ever since I got her home)
She has an appetite and is quite active. She’s also all cuddly with her new sister, so, I thought “okay! Everything’s good!”, but then, I started noticing a quite prominent weight gain, even so, that now she’s chubbier that my 1 year old rat. Also, she has become quite... bitey, even though I’m the only person she has had contact with, besides her previous owner.
So, here comes the big question: could she be pregnant? Or there’s something else going on?

I’ll attach a few pictures of her tummy under this post.
BAE15F90-452C-4C66-A861-DD98322C5090.jpeg

DD94B721-B5F6-4B8D-B420-EDA19F846136.jpeg

I’d like to thank you all beforehand.

She looks to be very pregnant. Keep an eye out, and make sure she's in a cage where she can make a nest, doesn't have shelves, give her lots of different things to make her nest (I used empty tissue boxes, toilet paper scraps, strips of fleece, and tissue paper) and if she has her litter (which is usually within a week to 10 days from actually looking round like she is) you may seperate her from her cagemate. I kept mine in with her cagemate, but it was her daughter, so it didn't cause fighting. Also, bar spacing is going to be an issue in about 2 weeks. She needs to be in a single level cage with bars 1/2 inch or less apart.

Rats average gestation is 21-23 days. So you're at least 17 days in. So up to 5 days left to wait. I would separate her now into her maternity cage or make a bin cage with soft paper bedding and paper towel to create nests. She still will need Out time as usual so let her be with her rat friend so they still remember each other and it'll be easier to reintroduce later. Can you get a pic of her whole body not just her belly?

Back