The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rat Kave

My oldest rat , Poppie,(approx. 5 months) has started to worry me. Recently they had all gotten sick(she was second to do so I believe), since then they've all had meds and the one who was the worst off, Aster, is now almost completely fine(it's two days after the end of giving them medicine, and Aster's sneezing fits stopped about 4 days in), however I've seen random spurts of large amounts porphyrin on Poppie's nose. She also started sleeping on her own a few weeks ago, sometimes she sleeps with them but not too often. What's worrying me the most is the boggling/bruxing. I know it's usually a good thing but the position she does it in and the way she looks before hand makes her look uncomfortable or stressed. She's all hunched up together on her perch her head hanging over the side sometimes it rest on the perch and sometimes it's just drooping. But her face is pointing straight down and her mouth is open and her eyes are (sometimes) squinted, like a dog panting. Should I be worried? Why is she doing this? What's wrong with her?

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20201129-155510.jpg
    VideoCapture_20201129-155510.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 128
  • VideoCapture_20201129-155510.jpg
    VideoCapture_20201129-155510.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 117
Thing is, the vet will check her vitals to make sure. She may just be congested but the only way to truly know is to have her thoroughly checked again. Some rats don't respond to certain antibiotics. If she has been on some types in the past, they may not work for her anymore. The piloerection concerns me, not the sleeping alone. I have one rat that loves to sleep alone but she is healthy. I even had two bio sisters who slept apart on many afternoons. Piloerection is a good way to tell if she's ill as well as her hunching and half closed eyes.

Back