Is my rat being bullied?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mialee

I recently adopted 3 rats (all 1 year old). 1 was left at a shelter as a lone rat (Missy) and the other 2 (Coco and Ciara) were adopted as friends for my lone rat.

I have successfully done introductions, they have been in their cage for around 1 month now. But I have noticed that Coco and Ciara will grab Missy in their mouth and try to drag her with them. Missy is quite shy, so she will squeak really loudly and then run and hide. The two girls who are doing the ‘biting’ never break skin and there is never any blood. All 3 girls will always sleep together but I’ve recently noticed the biting and I don’t want Missy to get hurt.

Is this behaviour aggressive or is it something which is normal amongst rats? If it is aggressive, how do I stop it!?

I’m just worried Missy will become scared of them and she will live her life afraid of her cage-mates.

That's more of a maternal thing I think. Momma rats grab their babies (sometimes by the back, neck, near the butt, or wherever they can) to drag them back to the nest. They are most likely trying to bring her to their "nest" to cuddle up, or groom. Her squeaks are in protest. They will usually learn that she doesn't like it, and stop. My girls do it. I've never really seen my boys do it. As long as there's no blood, or injuries, leave them together. They should work it out fairly quickly. Or sometimes they may do it, and she will just let them. She may just not be in the mood for it when she squeaks.

That's more of a maternal thing I think. Momma rats grab their babies (sometimes by the back, neck, near the butt, or wherever they can) to drag them back to the nest. They are most likely trying to bring her to their "nest" to cuddle up, or groom. Her squeaks are in protest. They will usually learn that she doesn't like it, and stop. My girls do it. I've never really seen my boys do it. As long as there's no blood, or injuries, leave them together. They should work it out fairly quickly. Or sometimes they may do it, and she will just let them. She may just not be in the mood for it when she squeaks.

Thank you! I’m due to adopt 3 babies next week, do you think this would help to put the focus onto the babies rather than my skittish girl? I’m thinking the babies will be used to being pulled around by their mothers so would probably put up less of a fight!

The babies will probably be mostly OK with it. I'm sure your skittish girl isn't as bothered by it as you may think. ;)

I'm with Dena, I've had some maternal-minded girls that do that. Odd that you have 2 at once and Missy is an adult tho, cause they usually stop when the other is more grown-up tho, maybe Missy has something about her that makes them think she's still needing caring for? Doesn't sound something to worry about if Missy is ok. Should be interesting to see if they leave her be when you get babies, I'd think so.

Back