Is my cage ok?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodentlover98

Hi all. Hoping for some advice. Here's my girls cage. There's only them in it and they have just over 3.5 cubic feet each. I'm currently making hammocks to go in there and I'm going to add a second bottle so they have one each. Wheel is an optional extra which I haven't seen them use yet. Bedding and litter has also been added.

Is there anything else I can put in the cage?
IMG_20200619_182221811.jpg

so your cage is 7 cubic feet?
Did you use a cage calculator?
What are dimensions of the base?
are those 2 large or small space pods?

Nice with the chew logs, chew toys and the house and the box. Nice litter box. Is that a large (ie 12 inch diameter) wodent wheel? - attaching it to the side of the cage is a nice touch. I am sure they will start to use it for all sorts of things :)
It looks like you put a lot of thought into your setup :)

as for items to add: hammocks which you said you are making, a tube attached to the side of the cage, food dish, at least 2 sources of water - at least 1 source needs to be a water dish that can not be upset, bedding and unscented paper based litter for the litter box - what types did you choose?
Btw babies are unable to get water out of a water bottle as their tongues are not strong enough to move the ball bearing with the water pressure behind it, although they may look like they are drinking.

Last edited:
so your cage is 7 cubic feet?
Did you use a cage calculator?
What are dimensions of the base?
are those 2 large or small space pods?

Nice with the chew logs, chew toys and the house and the box. Nice litter box. Is that a large (ie 12 inch diameter) wodent wheel? - attaching it to the side of the cage is a nice touch. I am sure they will start to use it for all sorts of things :)
It looks like you put a lot of thought into your setup :)

as for items to add: hammocks which you said you are making, a tube attached to the side of the cage, food dish, at least 2 sources of water - at least 1 source needs to be a water dish that can not be upset, bedding and unscented paper based litter for the litter box - what types did you choose?
Btw babies are unable to get water out of a water bottle as their tongues are not strong enough to move the ball bearing with the water pressure behind it, although they may look like they are drinking.
Closer to 8 cubic feet but yeh. I am looking to go larger but having a problem with bar spacing. The current cage has 1cm spacing and all the others have 2cm :(
They're the smaller ones that my hamsters don't use. I'm looking for a bigger one but they've seemed to have disappeared? I can't find them anywhere! Don't worry they're not permanent.

No it's the 11" Trixie wheel that I had as spare for my hamster. The size is ok at the moment as they're small. I shoved it in there to see if theyd use it, which they do! Surprised. When I owned rats a few years ago it was discouraged so a bit hesitant to put one in but they love it! So may need to make a 16" one for them but idk what to use.

They've got a bowl of water too now. I've added in hammocks and hammock tunnels. They've got a food dish and I'm also scatter feeding bits and putting them in cardboard tubes with the ends folded in so they'll work for it.

Litter is breeders select the paper cat bedding, also some carefresh but I don't like it so I'll be using fitch which is what I use for my hamsters :)

IMG_20200622_161611799.jpg

Back