Is my cage big enough?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julian

I've recently been thinking about taking in another rat, I have 3 at the moment and I was wondering if my cage was big enough for 4 or if i would have to extend it? It's been extended before and you can see its really a bit of a diy job (it is all secure & sturdy), cages get quite expensive but I think it turned out quite nicely! Also, ignore the grey plate at the front, I didnt have enough bars! If I end up extending it I'll definitely swap it out after buying new bar plates.
IMG_2524 (1).jpg

that's a very nice diy extension! makes for an interesting layout 😁
From the pictures you can't really get how big the cage is. could you give the dimensions?
you can also check rat calculator to get an approximate idea of how may rats can fit your cage.

that's a very nice diy extension! makes for an interesting layout 😁
From the pictures you can't really get how big the cage is. could you give the dimensions?
you can also check rat calculator to get an approximate idea of how may rats can fit your cage.
Thanks! I just measured it and the bottom cage is 80cm x 42cm x 42cm (length x width x height) and the upper part is 70cm x 33cm x 66cm, in general it's about 110cm high altogether. The rat calculator says it could comfortably house 4 rats, but I think I'd want to get round to adding another level to the cage anyways. Would it be enough for the time being or should I wait until i can add more space onto it? Also, for scale, you can see 2 of my rats in the top right corner of the cage :p

If you are sure you can add more space to the cage I would say it's ok to add a new rat.
Try also adding ropes and hides, so they all can have a private place to go if they need some alone time.
Give them an active layout and plenty of freeroam time and you shouldn't have any issues.

Back