Is it time for euthanasia?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mybeautifulboys

i have two fancy rats that’s are supposedly over 3 (not sure exactly how old as they are rescue) my one boy Lou was diagnosed with a pituatory tumour about four months ago. He has been doing well eating drinking and wanting to come out for play time, I have had to pick him up to put him in and out of the cage but I know he wanted to come out as he would wait by the cage door. He had lost alot of use in his back legs but he seemed to be coping well, still eager to get around and climb. That was Up until three days ago, he stopped wanting to come out of the cage and he’s struggling to get round he’s lost most of he use in his back legs now so he’s dragging himself but he is still eating and drinking, although I’m not sure if he is eating as much as he was. As well as the pt he does also have a mass on his side but the vet said that it wasn’t anything serious at the time (about three months ago) but in the last few days it has grown quite a bit. His cage mate mikey has also not been out the cage for three days but I think that might be due to him sensing his brother is ill as he is generally healthy except for slight respiratory issues. Is it time for him to be put to sleep? I’m thinking of taking him to the vets tomorrow for them to have a look at him but he gets quite stressed so I don’t want to take him really for no reason. Please any advice would really be appreciated!

Are you treating his pt? With what?
What are his symptoms?
Can you [post some pictures showing his "lump"
and a video of him getting around - post to youtube and then put the link on here

If he can still get around and is not refusing to eat or drink it may be too soon to put him down. I would definitely take him to the vet to see if they have any other options.
SQ is right, more information would help to be able to accurately see what condition he's in.

Back