Is it bad to cuddle them inside nest?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racholo

I have three new beautiful boys(All young pups - 9 weeks old). They are pet shop boys and timid so I have begun the trust gaining process.

It is my 5th day having them and I have gotten to the stage of them letting me pat them.
I have two questions:
Yesterday after a pat, Hezsky my least shy boy, instead of moving away, stretched out, and lay down with his head relaxed on the ground where I had patted him, close to the cage door - was that him asking for a pat?
My second question, my boys have all bruxed during patting but Smok and Boots will only accept pats if eating, or in their nest - is it bad to pat them in there? Ie encouraging my boys not to come out for cuddles? Especially considering I cannot pick them up yet?

It's all part of the trust building process. But I generally don't mess with them when they are in their nest (safe spot), for the first couple of weeks. That way, they can run to "safety" and learn I won't force them for anything they don't desire. I would encourage them to come out with some yogurt on your finger, or half a plain cheerio. Once they come out of their nest, they get the treat. Then encourage them to come farther and farther from their nest. It's trust training, and conditioning them to know you have the good stuff, and they get good stuff for coming to you. ;)

Thank you.
Was Hezsky stretching out and laying down infront of the cage door after I withdraw my hand after a scratch indicate he wanted more?
Thanks!

That shows he's comfortable with you. He trusts you enough to lay down and make himself vulnerable. I wouldn't force him to be picked up yet, but definitely give more scratches, pets, and rewards for that behavior!

Back