Is baby....normal?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dena

So ever since baby had an ear infection, she had a head tilt (expected), but she's also.....kinda been.....I don't know a nice or proper way to put it, but special. Like she's not all there. She has really odd behaviors, and does strange things, like chewing (yes chewing) the air. She does it right before she bruxes and boggles. She also does this kind of barrel roll in your hands. If she's up on a shelf, instead of climbing down, which she does most of the time, sometimes she will just fall, then get up and run around as if she doesn't notice. She seems to do it when she gets super excited, and it seems to get her where she wants to go faster. She's just absolutely adorable, and extremely affectionate. You can't help but fall in love with her innocent nature. But I'm wondering if the infection didn't cause brain damage? She wasn't like that before. I'll post a video of how she acts when excited and we grab her.

My rat Mazu has the exact same thing going on.! It almost seems like it's getting worse with her but now she's on Metacam and she seems... Better.? Almost like there's something inflamed going on in her head

I treated her for a week with prednisone, and went ahead and did almost 5 weeks on the erythromycin. She's about 3 almost 4 months old now.

I'm so sorry for not replying Dena (the world has been a scary distracting place lately). How is Baby doing? I just checked an erithromycin isn't always an effective antibiotic for inner ear infections, it works best on different bacterias. Any chance of a different antibiotic?

The only other antibiotic I have available that I believe works for this is ciprofloxacin. I already have some made up for a 12 week old (I know she's young, but it's all I have right now) who was starting to make wheezing noises (completely from her nose, like taco did). So if need be, I can just dose them at the same time. I have plenty of cipro. Baby is almost 5 months old now, I think, so it may not be as bad for her? Should I put her on it as well? Also I have lots of dexamethasone and pred. Hope y'all are doing OK up there. All is well down here, but it's difficult to get a vet.

I wouldn't worry about the steroid at this stage unless her tilt starts to worsen but I would definitely give her a course of Cipro just to ensure there is no lingering infection.

Back