Is Atlantis Rattery Closing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trihkal

Just when I thought this could never happen Atlantis rattery has no rats for sale and no upcoming litters. Considering she has been having about 6 litters a month it was quite surprising to see that. I might just be getting my hopes up for nothing but I'm kind of hoping she is retiring from breeding (or should I say abusing?)

This would be great news! :) It would mean more unwanted shelter rats could be found homes instead of people buying rats from breeders!

Its possible she's being investigated by the OSPCA again...

BUT here's where it's not so great...she's mentoring a whole lot of new "breeders", giving them her stock to carry on with. So she might not be breeding at her location but might have satellite breeders or someone else will take up the reins on the business. :(

Every time I check out kijiji there's more new breeders popping up.

Rainbow has stopped for now, gave her stock to Sam's Rattery, who is just as bad.
Rainbow gave her mom and dad and they havd 10 babies, now she's rehoming all the babies and mom...wait to go on keeping generations around for health history,etc.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-pets/c...om/1038953589?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Oshawa - no name or site just pretty rats
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-pets/o...os/1037578983?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Oshawa - Rambling Rats

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-pets/o...and-fancy-rats-girls-available-now/1020059618

Look! In St. Catherines you can get a whole 100-rat breading system for $450!!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-pets/st-catharines/rats/1038195888?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Jay sells for feeder or pet...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-pets/s...le/1016444176?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

and another rat breeding op for sale (rat racks)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-pet-accessories/hamilton/rat-breeding-cages-for-sale/1029087774

It all makes me want to cry....

As I had mentioned to you Lilspaz I was asked some questions regarding my experience with Atlantis rats by someone who has been working with the police. I don't know this person at all she found me on the ratshack so I can't say for sure if it was legit. Honestly, I'm hoping it is.

While I can't stand all the feeder breeders and bybs Atlantis was one of the worst in terms of volume. It doesn't fix it and I understand how frustrating it is but at least it will slow down. I have never been able to fully understand your frustration until I moved here and experienced it myself.

As I had mentioned to you Lilspaz I was asked some questions regarding my experience with Atlantis rats by someone who has been working with the police. I don't know this person at all she found me on the ratshack so I can't say for sure if it was legit. Honestly, I'm hoping it is.

While I can't stand all the feeder breeders and bybs Atlantis was one of the worst in terms of volume. It doesn't fix it and I understand how frustrating it is but at least it will slow down. I have never been able to fully understand your frustration until I moved here and experienced it myself.

PM'd you about this.

Atlantis Rattery isn't closing. From what I've recently heard she may stop selling to the public. She's been importing rats so I assume she will continue breeding but perhaps to sell to other breeders and trade only?

I had been looking at buying from her until I recently found this forum. I am currently a setting up to get my first rats so am not very aware or experienced in this field yet.

Atlantis Rattery isn't closing. From what I've recently heard she may stop selling to the public. She's been importing rats so I assume she will continue breeding but perhaps to sell to other breeders and trade only?

I had been looking at buying from her until I recently found this forum. I am currently a setting up to get my first rats so am not very aware or experienced in this field yet.

I kind of knew it was too good to be true and at the same time couldn't help but hope.

I think she may be selling feeders (aka the "boring" or plain rats like what happened to my Nisa) then importing (or whatever) the fancier ones (martens, silvermane, harley, etc.). From one heartbreaking situation to another.

Desiree this forum is rescue based. If you are in the area we may be able to find rats that need homes for you. I'm not entirely against ethical breeders but in this area that's very rare. For every one ethical breeder there are another 30 in the area that are backyard breeders. There is a lot of over breeding and abuse in Ontario.

I think (as well as others who I have talked to about this) Atlantis has become the breeder's breeder. I'm fairly certain thats what her goal has been all this time. I speculate that her nice rats are being sold at a high cost to breeders, and then the others that are less desirable are being sold as feeders by her feeder breeder associate. Not 100% sure about this, but really its the only thing that makes sense. I doubt that she would stop breeding, not after importing all those different varieties.

I think you're right. What a mess! The girls I rescued that were originally from her are not mentally sound and from what I have heard from others on the forum their rats aren't mentally stable either and/or struggle with aggression.

I think you're right. What a mess! The girls I rescued that were originally from her are not mentally sound and from what I have heard from others on the forum their rats aren't mentally stable either and/or struggle with aggression.

I have 4 boys who were originally from her - I got them from a person who adopted them from Atlantis. They are great boys, but only because I got them to that point. When I got them they were skittish and shy, I earned their trust. Merlin took the longest to turn around, but now he melts when you pet him and plays like crazy. I did have to get them all neutered because of aggression issues though and their personalities are... well... odd.

I have 4 boys who were originally from her - I got them from a person who adopted them from Atlantis. They are great boys, but only because I got them to that point. When I got them they were skittish and shy, I earned their trust. Merlin took the longest to turn around, but now he melts when you pet him and plays like crazy. I did have to get them all neutered because of aggression issues though and their personalities are... well... odd.

I rescued Orchid and Nisa from a third party. They were very young and completely traumatized. I have worked so hard with them over many months and they are pretty nice rats considering. Nisa is still and likely always be skittish but underneath that she is very sweet. Orchid has exhibited some neurotic behaviors. It's clear she gives no thought to their temperament.

I rescued Orchid and Nisa from a third party. They were very young and completely traumatized. I have worked so hard with them over many months and they are pretty nice rats considering. Nisa is still and likely always be skittish but underneath that she is very sweet. Orchid has exhibited some neurotic behaviors. It's clear she gives no thought to their temperament.

Nope, none at all.
Glad your girls are doing ok with you though

I kind of knew it was too good to be true and at the same time couldn't help but hope.

I think she may be selling feeders (aka the "boring" or plain rats like what happened to my Nisa) then importing (or whatever) the fancier ones (martens, silvermane, harley, etc.). From one heartbreaking situation to another.

Desiree this forum is rescue based. If you are in the area we may be able to find rats that need homes for you. I'm not entirely against ethical breeders but in this area that's very rare. For every one ethical breeder there are another 30 in the area that are backyard breeders. There is a lot of over breeding and abuse in Ontario.

Thank you. I've been in contact with lilspaz68 in hopes of adopting. Fingers crossed everything goes well. :)

I've been volunteering in the rescue world for years (dogs mostly) and am upset with myself for not looking into rat rescue earlier. I was looking at breeders hoping to get a good pair of beginner rats but I forgot I could also get that from a rescue. Thankfully I came across your forum before adopting and it brought me to my senses.

Thank you. I've been in contact with lilspaz68 in hopes of adopting. Fingers crossed everything goes well. :)

I've been volunteering in the rescue world for years (dogs mostly) and am upset with myself for not looking into rat rescue earlier. I was looking at breeders hoping to get a good pair of beginner rats but I forgot I could also get that from a rescue. Thankfully I came across your forum before adopting and it brought me to my senses.

If you're planning to get babies from the litter Lilspaz currently has (I believe there are some left), please know that they are AMAZING! I have two boys from her and they are little dreams :) Super friendly and playful and very well socialized. Though I'm sure ANY rat lilspaz has fostered is beyond amazing!

Don't be upset with yourself. Many people don't even realize there are rat rescues. Lilspaz's rats are amazing and you seem like you would offer a good home so it sounds perfect. Good luck with everything!

I have had a conversation via facebook with Atlantis. She apparently is not going to be the breeders' breeder but instead she's retiring from breeding entirely. This is due to a number of reasons. Of course, we can't necessarily take her word for it but that's what I have been told.

If anyone wants details they can pm me.

Last edited:
You must share....... Pm me or i can pm you in a moment. I am happy she is done where are all her rats at?

Back