Intros

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I found the line!

They coexisted well enough outside the cage on my bed. Phoe would get flipped but that's the worst that would happen before the top rat would go on their merry way. Most of the time she was ignored.

So with the clean cage I decided to grab a dustpan and stick Phoe in with the girls in the FN to see what would happen. Again, not bad, just bum rubs on her. I watched them for about ten minutes and then Brie flipped her again and Phoe -shot- out from between the bars. She really wants a place that's not bottom rat it seems. Elphie flipped her once but again, otherwise ignored her. I didn't film this because I wanted both hands at the ready as this was a huge step.

Edit: Conclusion being I think I'll backtrack and have them just in the play area again. Or rather, the bed, since Phoe won't explore, ever.

Catapult is more like what happened but yes, hehe. I don't really want to modify the FN since it's a nice looking cage as is but it may come to that. Phoe isn't much of an eater at all. Though she'll eat food I leave for her, it takes a lot of time. Whereas my piggies inhale everything...perhaps why they're so big, lol.

My hope behind putting her in the girls' cage was to make it clearer who's top rat with whatever scent was left behind but she still rebels against them. In time, I suppose, she'll get it.

I hope so. :D My goal was to have them all in the same cage before I go home for Christmas (in say 3 weeks) so perhaps my parents won't notice the third rat. :cheeky: If I go home, that is.

Mum seems to be actually afraid I'll become "a crazy rat lady." A thought she was being funny but she says it in such a worried tone. o_O To which I point out there are far worse things I could have gotten myself into. :lol:

Back on track though, I skipped an intro yesterday. Phoe seems really stressed out. She's not the laid back rat Shelagh and Sarah delivered anymore and must always be hiding. She doesn't like being picked up at all and can't relax. Is this normal for a baby being introduced to older rats?

I hate to hear that about about Phoe :( Could she be confused by being with them sometimes and not others, could she be missing the company? Would it be better to just put them all together in the same cage when you have time to keep watch for awhile?
I hope people more practiced at difficult intros can advise....

I'm worried about her too. :( She doesn't play in her cage either, she's always in the igloo Shelagh let me borrow. Then again she was always like that in the cage, I just thought she was adjusting. Now I'm wondering if she's too stressed.

I'll see what happens if I stick her with the girls now...ten bucks says it won't last five minutes now that she knows she can escape from them. : x

Edit: Switching to health section. :(

It's really bothersome, particularly when I was presented with a happy girl. I wonder if forcing her to live with the girls will make the myco flare-up worse? Or the opposite?

This is when rats need to communicate. ¬¬

The sooner you can get those girls together the better it will be for Phoe. She needs to feel that it will be her home. Right now, when she goes in the big cage, she knows she's intruding on the other's territory. Until she actually lives there, she won't feel right about it.

All the intro vids look normal to me. Brie is alpha and Elphie is probably the beta...for now :roll: Phoe diving under her is a sign of "groom me, I'm harmless"...a subordinate move. When Brie pins she does it with her head in the air (away from little feet pushing at her). She literally pins her and waits til Phoe submits, which is a good thing. A bad alpha curls around and lays their open mouth on the subbie...its a real threat I think.

Btw babies often go through these phases (and she is at the right age), where they seem frightened and unhandleable and sometimes mouthy. Treat them with consistency and don't worry. They get over this teenage phase. :D

Its possible that Phoe isn't feeling well (read your Health thread) and they become quiet and withdrawn. See if you can spend more time just with Phoe on your lap or your shoulder...maybe she just needs some reassurance. :)

Thanks so much for all the feedback. :)

I don't seem to be of any comfort to her anymore which is hurtful, lol, but the teenage way perhaps.

She is currently in the FN and has been for about 15 minutes and though she's had lots of bum rubs on her and a flip or two, she seems okay. Stressed, of course, but okay. She's taking advantage of all the hideaways in there but isn't afraid to venture out and poke one of the girls. Her mistake is using the barn as a hideout...they store the food in there!

lilspaz68 said:
A bad alpha curls around and lays their open mouth on the subbie...its a real threat I think.

This is what my Rose does :evil: so you are lucky. Rose drew blood the first few times. She looked like a pissed off cotton ball all puffed out huffing and charging. Intros with her were so much easier when she was in heat all she cared about was that the babies would chase and pounce on her.

I hope Phoe can stay in the big cage. It Will take her a day or so to really feel like it is home. My Sunflower took about two days before she would really run around not scared every time someone moved. Willow on the other hand was in the cage and wrestling with everyone the minute she stepped foot in the big girl cages. She had no problem with being bullied, she just brushed it off and went on to the next grooming victim.

Wow...I've yet to see a rat puff up!

Phoe's now in Shelagh's igloo (the one she's been in since she got her) which I moved in to the FN and everyone seems pretty accepting of it...the best part is Phoe seems to have forgotten she can get out, lol.

Elphie's dozing, and Brie's grooming herself...looking good. :)

Bronwyn said:
Wow...I've yet to see a rat puff up!

I have seen it more than I would like to count. I will try and take a picture of when she does it, she looks huge when she gets like that. I am doing more intro's tonight with the new babies so prime time to puff it out and take some pics.

Yeah, snoozing and grooming is good. They are comfortable enough with her around to go about their business. Next thing you know everyone is all snuggled up snoozing together.

Actually, when a rat puts himself/herself under another rat, they are being dominant. That is a dominant move, the other one is suppose to honour him/her with grooming.

jorats said:
Actually, when a rat puts himself/herself under another rat, they are being dominant. That is a dominant move, the other one is suppose to honour him/her with grooming.

I did not know that. It does make sense they are kind of commanding the other rat to give them attention.

So when my girls force their way into my arms or under my neck they are bossing me around!!!!!!!!Bossy girls. Oh well I love it when they cuddle and twist my arm to be scratched.

Back