Introductions of young male rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Nightroses0423

I am hoping I can get some advice on the best way to introduce to young rats. I currently have one pet store rat that is about 8 weeks old I believe, and on May 1st will be getting a 6 week old rat as a companion from a very ethical breeder. She of course has her own advice which I trust, but you can never get enough advice I feel. I will of course quarantine the new rat and still feel like the pet store rat needs quarantined as well sense they don't come from the best of situations. How long do you guys suggest for quarantine and how do you all suggest introductions should be done? From what I understand the new rat I'm getting is much more socialized of course and passed temperament testing with flying colors, while my pet store rat is very jumpy. He isn't completely unsocialized but does get scared and squeaks very easily, he has never bitten me (or even nipped) during those scared moments. I don't know if this information is useful but just in case I thought I would share, thank you all so much!

If the breeder quarantined her rats, ie has had them living under quarantine conditions for 6 weeks and none her rats have been ill for months, then imo you should be good to go (but others may know better then me) .... otherwise you will want to do a quarantine in a separate air space for 6 weeks, if possible
So info on intros can be found here https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/introducing-new-rats.34842/ and there is a lot of info on joinrats.com

Thank you, what great info in that post I appreciate it! They may be young enough to get along right away then, I will still take precautions of course but that gave me a lot of hope and peace of mind. Iwill hate to see them alone very long.

Jorats, that’s what I’m learning and am very excited about . Thank you for the response.

jumping in here to ask, when introducing an adult male to 2 baby rats, how old do the babies have to be?
I think I recall reading that they have to be 10 weeks old or the adult could possibly kill them?
asking for a friend who has an adult male and just got 6 week old babies, all intact males

Back